meters to Paris
VERTICAL-LIFE STATS
Members
Total ascents
Ascents last 30 Days
Ascents last 24 hours
Open forum

"chipping..."

Chipping... You know, this is sad that we even have to hear anything as pseudo-creative as that word. However, in our ever-growing sport it seems to be a topic that gets a moderate amount of press. And in my opinion any amount is too much. The term “chipping” carries a strong connotation with any other hold manipulation. So it’s not just chipping that is being addressed here, but the whole/the base of the issue. Is this not why we began to climb---> to experience the beauty of nature. To cruise on stone, feel the rhythm, to feel free. How does chipping fit in with that? The truth is it doesn’t. When someone does something such as chipping to alter the state of a climb his/her intentions are other than those I just mentioned. A selfish behavior none-the-less. Firstly, my respects and deepest sympathies go out to Frederic and anyone else who is the victim of selfish, ignorant, vandals. No, no one has died, life goes on... But, is quality not a measure of life? This is not just about us and people who climb right now, no. This is about our future generations, of which we truly know little about. I can, however, say that due to the recent and less-recent hold manipulation of several historic problems the world and the future climbing is altered in a negative way. Perhaps a collaborative effort of climbing's elite/foremost athletes can leave a legacy of ethics for generations to come. This is a neglected issue that deserves attention. How do I know? Because it is becoming more commonplace for people to change climbs to suite their needs. The term “hold manipulation” was chosen because it covers altering holds in any way. Let's face it the systems of earth's geological systems erode, cause abrasion, fracturing etc., etc. Through wear and tear of several generations, key word generations, the possibility of a rock maintaining its current form, in all its intricacies, is inevitably denied. That is the nature of the planet on which we live. However, the rate at which our generation carelessly alters not only the stone, but surrounding niches/ecosystems is alarming. There are two topics in this paragraph: The geological effects on stone and the effect climbers have on the respective ecosystem, and with all due respect these are topics all their own. Why did I mention them? Because they are the two very most fundamental/elementary levels which are affected by this notorious topic, “chipping.” So what am I talking about here? Anthropometric hold altering, the active engagement of humans, whose intentions are diverse, changing the holds of a climb via various mediums. Excessive brushing, jarring, chipping. “Just to make a climb easier?” This question strikes at the route of the problem. Why would someone alter holds? What does success on a "climb" usually involve? The purpose of this document is an effort to call out to this generation of climbers. Whether you're a self-proclaimed "boulderer, sport-climber, headpointer…" Whatever you are, this is a phenomenon that must be acknowledged and dealt with. Fred Nicole should not be the only climber speaking out about this, as it is something that each climber encounters all too often. This is a turning point in climbing history. Why now, and not later? Because something can be done about it now. It takes a voice, a strong, positive voice. And I challenge you to take part in the cure, for our future generations. Thank you. A suggestion: email this to people whom may also help the cause.
Amen to that...very well put.
take a look please, it's written in english. www.pietresupietre.net bye filippo