Forum: GLOBAL / News / Perfect show ends the 2017 season Login in to contribute
Perfect show ends the 2017 season
  2017-11-12 00:00:00    
Janja Garnbret put on yet another amazing show winning her ninth World Cup victory in 2017 in Kranj. In total, she won six Lead World Cups and in the remaining two she was third. Jain Kim was second and secured her second position also overall. In total, she was Top-4 in all but one event. Molly Thompson-Smith set a new personal best and she is the without any doubt the biggest surprise on the female scene in 2017. Last year she was mainly doing Youth comps but never better than #7. Including in her preparation for Kranj, she did her first 8b+ in Raven Tor this week! (c) Eddie Fowke - The Circuit Climbing

1. Jakob Schubert AUT - Janja Garnbret SLO
2. Alex Megos GER - Jain Kim KOR
3. Dmitrii Fakiroanov RUS - Molly Thompson-Smith GBR

Interesting Jakob, who has just done three Lead WCs in 2017, 1 - 3 - 1, explained that part of his success is that he has done less comps and did not feel any pressure. Further more he said he does not follow a strict training schedule. The same goes, in fact, also for the runner-up Megos who prior to Kranj, climbed eight days in a row and did just have time for one gym sessions before Kranj. For Dmitrii it was his first World Cup in 2017.

It should also be mentioned that the commentating with the experience competitions climbers did a great job including great interviews. Complete results
Click to Enlarge Picture
OffLine Bojan
  2017-11-13 15:35:13    
>Molly Thompson-Smith set a new personal best and she is the without any doubt the biggest surprise on the female scene in 2017

Great progress for Molly, but for me the greatest surprise was Jain beating Anak.

Janja's 9 victories in a season must be new record. Currently she the only climber (men or women) with constant top performances both in lead and boulder. Although I think there are too many comps in a season, especially for non-professionals and especially with mixing lead and boulder, so I hope IFSC is preparing a better calendar for the next year.