Forum: GLOBAL / Editorial / Sendai Vent for trecking/scrambling and super easy climbing Login in to contribute
Sendai Vent for trecking/scrambling and super easy climbing
  2017-08-12 00:00:00    
I have used the new Sendai Vent from Boreal when I have been setting up easy bolted routes this summer and they are perfect. Instead of using climbing shoes that get painful after an hour or so, I use this in between climbing and trecking shoe. The Sendai Vent is a regular lightweight comfortable approach shoe that you in fact also could use during easy climbing warming up.

For some reason, the shoe industry has not fulfilled this in between segment for the new generation of climbers who do not want to invest in climbing shoes doing some scrambling or climbs graded 3 and 4. More info
Click to Enlarge Picture
OffLine The Whistleblower
  2017-08-12 08:46:35    
5.10 Guide Tennie (http://www.fiveten.com/us/outdoor/approach/guide-tennie-gun-metal):
"An ergonomic last design, mesh lining and compression-molded midsole make the Guide Tennie comfortable when hiking long miles or engaging in technical scrambling and climbing."
OffLine Christoph Barthel
  2017-08-12 10:50:42    
What? Basically every company that sells shoes for outdoor use has a modell like this (and they had them for years...)
OnLine Jens Larssen
  2017-08-13 17:47:30    
I have asked for a pair of Guide Tennie and make a report. As regards other show makers, please advice who can have a similar scrambling shoe.
OffLine dreamingof8a
  2017-08-13 18:03:38    
Just search for "approach shoe" and there are endless results. Of course not all of them are equally good for scrambling but Mammut, Scarpa, La SPortiva, .... they all make approach shoes which are good for easy climbing. I'm wearing Mammut Wall Guide Low right now and they are definitely good for scrambling.

BTW even simple runers can be good for scrambling. It depends a lot on your personal climbing level .....
OnLine Jens Larssen
  2017-08-13 20:03:02    
Sure any shoe can be good for scrambling but the difference with at least Boreal Sendai Vent is that the front part is designed for climbing being stiffer and also with specific climbing rubber. It seems the Five Ten is the same.
OffLine Marcus Norman
  2017-08-14 19:46:59    
Dreamingof8a is right - many shoe manufacturers have similar products - right down to the sticky rubber toepiece ready for edging. Hell - I've done 5.12 in my Sportiva TX4s with minimal issues. Run a search : Arxteryx, Scarpa, evolve, Sportiva, Salewa, fiveten... the list goes on and on.
OffLine Marcus Norman
  2017-08-14 19:47:00    
Dreamingof8a is right - many shoe manufacturers have similar products - right down to the sticky rubber toepiece ready for edging. Hell - I've done 5.12 in my Sportiva TX4s with minimal issues. Run a search : Arxteryx, Scarpa, evolve, Sportiva, Salewa, fiveten... the list goes on and on.