meters to Paris
VERTICAL-LIFE STATS
Members
Total ascents
Ascents last 30 Days
Ascents last 24 hours
Dr 8a

Losing leg muscle mass???

from the "optimum weight" 3d you can see a general curiosity about this topic. I'm in too since my natural morphotype is "big legs" (I mean in general, not just compared to other climbers). I'd like to loose some quads as long as I can still be able to do a one-legged squat and make my way up the trail to céuze :) the few web resources on the topic suggest to reduce calories intake, and then two opposite roads. a)No protein intake and 1hour or plus of jogging or light running as frequently as possible (apparently makes muscles eat themselves...). The models are marathon runners (they do have very skinny legs despite they are running) b)keep training upper body and avoid any hard leg workout. So, I guess, be intentionally slow on steep approach walks, avoid jumping around, etc.. but, we'd all like to hear more details and thoughts from dr.8a. (for instance, if option a could work even when applied for shorter periods, it would be easy to implement it in a 2 weeks annual break from climbing...)
Yeah  any other suggestions??,  this  sounds  pretty interesting
He heh, this is a classic old chestnut! Some friends of mine actually went as far as hiring a wheelchair and not walking at all for over a month! I too have thick legs with humgous calves (long years of surfing and skateboarding) but have never managed to make them any smaller. Just make your fingers and arms stronger then you dont notice the extra weight!
heh.. i can picture myself them rolling in to the crag in a weelchair.. hilarious.. but there has to be some way of doing this.. and not losing the upper body muscles.
I would agree: reduce totatl calorie intake but keep the protein up enough not to loose to much muscle to fast -then engage the upper body muscles in aerobic training - try kayaking - i used to be on the swedish national team of kayaks and one obvius drawback with that hard training focusing on the upper body muscles was that when calories dropped and training increased we all lost substantial amounts of leg mass - we used to joke that we all looked like hermit crabs... so obviously you could also swim (use hand paddles and no feet) -upper body cranking is the new fad in the gyms (introduced by Jonny G of spinning at this years IHRSA convention) .. well you get the picture Good luck Björn
How much weight loss are we talking about?  Is there really significant weight to be lost (assuming we are not talking body builder legs).
I am talking about loss of about 10 kg of lower body muscle mass in one season - however I am talking about guys with body masses around 80 kg and working out twice a day at world class level. For a 60 kg lifestyle climber to loose 3-5 kg seems feasible Remember that when competetive season was over we all gained leg muscle mass again Björn