meters to Paris
VERTICAL-LIFE STATS
Members
Total ascents
Ascents last 30 Days
Ascents last 24 hours
Open forum

Top-10 climber ever

We are preparing an article where the best climber ever will be ranked. What's your opinion? This is our improvised list but we are still searching for info. 1. Hirayama - 8b+ OS -99, 8c OS -04, W Champ, W Cup -98 & 00 2. Sharma - 9a+, World silver at 16, 2 WC boulder wins 3. Hill 4. Huber 5. Bereziartu - 9a, 8B, All Time #16, 1 Boulder WorldCup event, 6. Legrand 7. Güllich 8. Nicole 9. Usobiaga 10. Sansoz, Koyamada, F Petit, Erbesfield, Graham, Chabot, Moffat, Rouhling, Bernabe, Sarkany, Andrada, Cakdwell, Mrazek, Caldwell and Calibani
Why not take an approach like rebuffat did for making a book about nice climbs? "Massif du Mont Blanc. Les 100 plus belles courses". ... "Sport climbing. The 100 predominant figures." - albert, gullich, ... ... "Alpinism. The 100 nutty guys that risked their lives to the max." By this, you don't have to come with a ridiculous number 1, which will be questioned by everyone. I'd enjoy more reading about climbers than comparing their achievements. I'm currently straight in the head so I'm up to putting my scorecard towards a logbook. :happy:
We have many plans like the ones you are suggesting. The alternative to make the 100 in an alphabetical order is interesting but maybe it works best if the list where just ten guys. We will try to make more personal descriptions rather than comparing achievements.
Well if we are talking about best in the world. ill name out ten in the order i think. 1.Fred Nicole 2.Daniel Woods 3.Tommy Caldwell 4.James Pearson (Flashed 2 8b Boulders and done E12) 5.Dave Graham 6.Ty Landman 7.Dani Andrada 8.Adam Ondra (hes the future) 9.Ben Moon 10.Lisa Rands
Top 10... Maybe, I say maybe if we picked a 100 names, everyone who might deserve to be on the list could be included, but to reach some kind of consensus on 10 names? No way.
My updated list of the most important, inspiring and influential persons in the history of climbing. 1. Charis Sharma 2. Lynn Hill 3. Yuji Hirayama 4. Wolfgang Güllich 5. Josune Bereziartu 6. Robyn Erbesfield 7. Frederic Nicole 8. Dani Andrada 9. Tommy Caldwell 10. Jon Gill 11. Patxi Usobiaga 12. David Graham 13. Liv Sansoz 14. Alexander Huber 15. Martina Cufar 16. James Pearson 17. Anna Stöhr 18. Adam Ondra 19. Ben Moon 20. Lisa Rands
bernd arnold
exceeded two posts per topic.
A good Journalist should inform bout the news as it happens, the opinion should be figured out by citizens. In other words, 8a.nu should list the goals of climbers, and community should figure out their own opinion. Having seen this I would add that to find the best climber ever depends on the point of view. if you focus on the best sport climber, you deprecate trad, alpin, aid, etecetera.  To be honest, I would love to see a full list of goals but pointing out someone over others would not be fair for the rest of climbers. Let people figure out their own hero. I shall help you with the head line of the list. Men and Women Onsights Redpoints Trad Free Big wall Climbers who step on a new grade Gullich, Moon, etecetera. Aid climbing Other climbing achievements like  Lafalille, He was in the cutting edge as sport and Himalayan climber.
bernabe fernandez: 8a 14 years old 8c  17 years old many 9a´s orujo 9a+ chilam balam 9b+
Agree with A0… a single list will create frustration without pointing out what these few climbers have achieved and what makes them so important in free climbing history. I would personnaly stick strictly to free climbing and therefore exclude aid climbing, or simply mention a few names in an introduction. My list of topics would be a little different and would include the following: First ascent (Nicole, Sharma, Loskot, Huber) First new grade (Gullich, Moon) Hardest redpoint (Sharma, Andrada, Edlinger, Ondra, Graham, Rands, Bereziartu, Pou) Hardest Onsight (Moffat, Durif, Hirayama) Big Walls (Caldwell, Hill) Trad (Kammerlander, McLeod) Competition (Legrand, Ebersfield) Solo (Bachar, Edlinger, Huber, Robert) You can also divide certain categories by discipline (routes and bouldering) There are of course plenty of other names worth mentioning, and I think we could start by extracting all the names given in the question “who are your climbing heroes and why”, to have an idea about who actually has an impact on today’s climbing community.
I think Alexander Huber has done it all and more... Sports climbing - ticked He climbed Open Air in 1996, which has now been graded 9a+ by Ondra. Was Huber then the first to ever climb a 9a+? Sports multipitch - Ticked End of Silence is part of the Alpine trilogy. Bellavista and Panaroma went even beyond, I reckon. Free solo - Ticked Dent du Geant, Grand Capucin, North Face of Cima Grande, Kommunist Speed climbing - Ticked Speed record on The Nose in 2007. High altitude/Expedition climbing - Ticked Eternal Flame on the Nameless Trango Tower plus other ascents in the Karakorum and in Patagonia.
So many great climbers. One name that always pops up on youtube Dan Osman, just to name one.
Guellich Sharma Graham Rands Nicole Caldwell Gill Kauk Yaniro Leavitt
I'm really surprised not a single person has mentioned Peter Croft under any argument!  
What about the great Catherine Destivelle?
In terms of absolute difficulty Adam Ondra is by far number 1. Then, if we want to mention those who made the history of climbing 10 spots are not enough. I was surprise not see John Bachar in the list. Other random names that should appear: Dean Potter, Alex Honold, Jim Bridwell, Ron Kauk, Beth Rodden, ... how can one make a list?
In terms of absolute difficulty Adam Ondra is by far number 1. Then, if we want to mention those who made the history of climbing 10 spots are not enough. I was surprise not see John Bachar in the list. Other random names that should appear: Dean Potter, Alex Honold, Jim Bridwell, Ron Kauk, Beth Rodden, ... how can one make a list?
On purpose I do not try to rank the "old" climbers. They are true hero but I'm still too young to know too much about them.For the climbers of the modern era : (No specific order)Adam OndraYuji HirayamaAlex HuberFred NicoleWolfgang GullichChris SharmaTony Caldwell Ladies:Lynn HillJosune BereciartuCatherine Destivelle