meters to Paris
VERTICAL-LIFE STATS
Members
Total ascents
Ascents last 30 Days
Ascents last 24 hours
Open forum

Training-log: comments and suggestions

The 8abc Training-Log is still under progress so we would appreciate your comments and suggestions.
I have not try it out yet, but my first impressions are that this invention could work pretty well as far as it's a "scientific thing..." For me, that I've always worked out by feelings, it's going to be a precious apparatus to help me understand why some things happen when not expected. But first, I need some spare time to start climbing again in a regular basis...
Very very nice!!!!! Some questions though: -After updating and saving, the data is not recorded...at least i've tried it and each time i return the sheet appears blank. -The number of moves ends at 400, for indoor volume training that's not enough....maybe 800 as max? -Would be nice to have a training vs routes(boulder) diagram to check peak form. -For training it would be nice to cross-check bouldervs routes (depends on one's goals during the season...more power, endurance) - maybe to add the number of moves, type (continuous, pure power, technical), "feeling" when adding a route would help to understand progress during the season. Keep up the good work!
I've just started use training-log, and it seems would be a big step forward to understand oneself. Some notes... (sorry if my english unclear) When I working with my past or future plans, so after saving the record, it jumps to current day week table and i think it would be better to show same week. Another thing is posibility to save all days records of the week by one click. I mean that i fill all week days records and then click global save. Keep patience and get perfection!
Sweet. Good job... look forward to continued development.
When you click on the demo link in Netscape, it simply loads up a text file of the code. Perhaps rename the file to html?
A calculation of Load Index on each line of the input form would be good, so we can easily compare from day-to-day.
* I like how you're pre-populating the crag name from the ticklist into the appropriate date. It would be great if you could also pre-populate the route name and grade into the comments field, because we're no doubt going to mention it in the comments. * Can you add in 50 as the minimum, rather than 75? It's easy to not do 75 metres of climbing on a slow day outdoors. * Okay, so I've added a bunch of info into my training log. How do I now get to see the visual representation i.e. graph? * Export functionality? * Some more information on how to use the data that's being calculated would be cool. Tell us some good ways of decreasing training load. What should we be aiming for? Perhaps provide some case studies?
Excuse the stupidity but how do you display the graph and the data is only relevant when looked at over time? It would be nice it the graph had points marked as to when you sent your harder problems within the training programme.
Perhaps you could add a point system along with #moves... so when you're training for bouldering... complete 3 laps on v8 = 24 pts 2 laps on V10 = 20 pts total points for session 44pts. Would provide interesting trend and historical perspective. You could also have a box which indicates if you're training power, p-endurance, endurance so then you could better understand relevance of points... probably much easier to collect high total points when training endurance on an easy day... while serious power days would be low point efforts... and would allow you to see where you're in your training cycle. etc. V point system is perhaps a better load indicator for bouldering specific training then counting... counting moves can be rather difficult... annoying. Thank you.
* 'Back to training log' link should take you back to the week you were looking at, not current week. * There is no longer a 4 and 5 in the Tired scale, so you can update the text underneath the table. * The cool little pop-up boxes don't happen in Netscape * Clicking on a certain week in the graph could/should take you to the entry form for that week. * Top form doesn't appear to be showing up on the graph. I gather this is something that is currently under development. I look forward to seeing more development. Thanks guys!
Great idea! Actualy I do that the same at home but in a note book. Applause for the great work 8a.nu! Keep up the great work. I still can't give any suggestions, but soon probably I will, when I see how it works for me.
Great idea! Actualy I do that the same at home but in a note book. Applause for the great work 8a.nu! Keep up the great work. I still can't give any suggestions, but soon probably I will, when I see how it works for me.
I think its a brilliant idea. how is the load calculated? What if paople who wanted to could submit their log so other people can look at what training people of their level are doing and read the comments to see what type of training is working for other people.
I am glad to see someone else trying to automate climbing training. Check out this website: Klimb, Rock Climbing Performance Software (www.Klimb.com) Klimb is the first Rock Climbing Performance Software that analyses your climbing, weight training, cardio and provides you with all kinds of reports and statistics on your climbing performance, power, relative strength, endurance by tracking your profile. Klimb has been around for almost 2 years, mainly used by American (NW) competition climbers.
Why don't you create a Top-form-scale (for example 1-5) in addition to the procentual part!? So I could decide individual, how strong I 've been (a X for topform is not accurate enough!). But nice work, B
When we view our Load index diagram, it would be useful to see a graph that shows a full year to date, rather than from just the start of 2005.
Would it be possible to note/indicate the hardest grade climbed during the session?
I find it confusing when going back/forward through the training weeks when the starting day changes (depending which day it is). Further it doesn't correspond to the weeks in the graph. My suggestion is that a week shown when entering training data is a calender week. Otherwise the training-log is a good idea :-)
Other than the very subjective "top form" stat i'd like something related to the ascents registered in the scorecard/logbook. Like a little box with the best onsight, redpoint and flash performances you registered that week. that way, in retrospective, you can see how you were training before your last successful send...it would be useful to see how your body responds. Some people need much volume to get in shape, other less, etc etc... another cool thing would be the possibility of seeing, in the diagram, how much boulder training vs route training you did, and how much indoors vs out. I also don't understand if the adrenalin thing gets calculated into the diagram, in some form... as it is, it's a cool tool that shows some long-term trends happen, but you can't really turn it into something useful if you can't quickly see how you trained and if your top form was just a confident feeling or something sending-related... bottom line : nice idea, nice tool, but to be really effective it needs to show more at-a-glance informations in graphic form. cheers, g
I would like to be able to enter climbs and then have it record them WTF. It has been doing this for the last week, please get it so I can enter info that stays please, all my friends are refusing to use 8a because of the failure of the log to hold information, if you can get it to give us an idea of what the load index MEANS, in terms of other climbers, what we should be doing, etc, that and get the thing to upload info flawlessly, I am sure the site will become much more popular.
PREVIOUS