13 January 2013

Armaid review: Elbow and Pump problems

www.armaid.com
Armaid Review by Dr 8a, Björn Alber

Armiaid is a tool for focused hard forearm massage. It is designed to be strapped to the thigh by means of a Velcro belt so that the user easily can use it by himself.
Why then would a climber be interested in this contraption?

I; To aid in training and to enhance performance
During hard climbing as well as during hard training for climbing we get forearm "pump" - the required power output on the muscles will demand such large quantities of oxygen and energy paired with dramatically raised need for removal of rest products of metabolism and heat - the circulation locally will be overloaded - the muscles will be overfilled with blood and this will produce a deadlock in the circulation eg "the pump" Hard sports massage has been proven to help in releasing this circulatory deadlock faster. Several climbers including myself can testify to the fact that Armaid will effectively helps in releasing the pump.

II; Medical use
Epicondylitis or inflammation of the origin of the tendons of the forearm extensor muscles is quite common among climbers.
The medical consensus is that traditional massage has little or no effect on the healing process. However hard massage with cross friction can activate the inflammation in a tendons thus making it accessible to the normal healing process. Armaid refers to their own studies that clearly shows god results when using their tool in treatment. My own findings when using Armaid in combination with traditional medical therapy on this condition in climbers supports their claims
I would conclude that Armaid is a useful tool for climbers
Do not forget that the cause of the epicondyltis is an imbalance in the the strength of the flexing and the extending forearm muscles. Strenght training and stretching of the extensor muscles is vital to prevent that this problem reoccurs!

1 comment
Sort by:
Date
Favorites