23 November 2009

Speedster review

style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">

The speedster: review by Jerome Meyer who is the new IFSC Sport Manager, see IFSC presentation below.

That little text is a simple story, the story of what happened with my climbing when I started using the speedster.

As a climber, I’ve been using my shoes in many rock and plastic holds with the same request to them: help me to use the footholds in the best way, cause they are a crucial element in climbing. As a competitor I had additional needs: give me safe feelings of my footholds.

For all theses reasons, I’ve been reluctant changing my favorite climbing shoes to another pair, especially the new ones. Nevertheless, it happened often because La Sportiva’s new shoes were always providing some new advantages. The Testarossa, the Solution are the kind of shoes that really helps you to make a full use of any footholds. However, they were always proposing the same basic principle of a right angle edges, you were gaining a true efficiency but you were not experiencing some new feelings.

And then appears the Speedster. My first reaction was, “wow a new Mantra, it will be funny again to play on plastic, but rock session will remain a Solution or Testarossa monopole”.

After several climbing sessions I was impressed by their adaptability and the way you can use it. Basically you were comfortable on almost all type of footholds, from big sloppy ones to the very small “foot crimps”. After some others climbing sessions, it appears that I was moving differently on these footholds, I was, on many position, also more relaxed because I was putting my feet differently and my body tension was therefore impacted.

What happened? Having no edges on the shoes make that you cannot try to match the two angles (the shoes one with the hold one), it’s not anymore a mechanical question. What you do with the Speedster is putting on the main part of the hold the “pressure point” of your foot (often your bigger toe, not the tip of the shoes) then you “wrap up” the rest of the hold with the foot. By doing so you can lower your eel, reduce the tension of your calf and consequently your global body tension. If you’re more relaxed, it will be easier to manage some toughs climbing situations.

It’s clearly not easy to explain but what I can say is that the principle of these shoes make possible many new positions and therefore push you to think about what you do of your feet. Which is a basic question you ask to climbers, from beginners to expert, when you want them to progress.

My advice after this small story is: don’t make any case of the “a priori” you can have of a shoes that does not look classic and seems designed for athletes, it may reveal some nice surprise and bring you much more fun in climbing.

Jerome Meyer

"Jerome Meyer is the new IFSC Sport Manager
Submitted by Elena Corriero on 2009-11-03 - 15:40
The former Boulder WC winner and European Champion takes over the position that was Paolo Orione's.

After several years of participation in the IFSC community both as an active athlete running for the podium and as the President of the Athletes Commission in the Executive Board. Jerôme MEYER, current bouldering European Champion, joins the IFSC staff as Sport Manager, replacing Paolo Orione. 

“After spending a couple of years pulling on the competition holds, I have reached my goals and decided to retire from the world circuit. I completed at the same time my studies in a business school (E.M.Lyon) and decide to bring my competencies in the climbing world. I received an invitation to run for the sport manager position that was open after Paolo’s leaving.

That’s a challenging position. My history in the sport climbing community makes it easier for me to deal with the sport questions but I have to create my legitimacy on the organizational and management sides.

My goals in this job will be to make the IFSC a fully mature organization and a reknown actor that could gather all the sport climbing working energies. There’s a strong complexity in such job, but after 5 years as the Athletes president commission it may be easier to manage. My work will be judged by my former fellow colleagues; if they will be able to fulfill their lives through our sport, then it will be a great success for me.”

The IFSC is proud to demonstrate that itsathletes can find inside the organization the way to convert from athletes to professionals and continue to bring their energies into the sport cause."
3 comments
Sort by:
Date
Favorites