Forum: GLOBAL / Editorial / Season diagram - Leonidio Login in to contribute
Season diagram - Leonidio
  2017-11-11 00:00:00    
For every of the 5 000 crags in the 8a data base, you can find a season diagram that can help you to find the best time of the year to visit a specific crag. The upper diagram is from Leonidio which just might have the biggest proportion of winter ascents. Below you have Kalymnos diagram, which shows a stronger concentration during late spring and autumn.
Click to Enlarge Picture
OffLine Endre Verden
  2017-11-11 13:41:25    
The season diagram for the different crags are great and very useful.
But there is bug, so for some crags the diagram doesn't show.
Example:

https://www.8a.nu/crags/Crag.aspx?CragId=16596
OffLine Henning Wang
  2017-11-12 17:59:40    
8a.nu statement: For every of the 5 000 crags in the 8a data base, you can find a season diagram that can help you to find the best time of the year to visit a specific crag.

Jens, do you not have a degree in statistics?
How is it that you don't understand that this diagram only shows when people have logged routes in the given crag and thus have nothing to do with conditions?
This is a popularity diagram not a conditions diagram...

If you for example look at your diagram for Kalymnos, it shows that september-october is peak season, aka most people. However conditions are much better in winter when almost no one go because of much more difficult and time consuming travel.

The same goes for any "holiday" destination as the diagram will show that most go there for summer, x-mas or easter breaks even tho those times in most cases are sub optimal conditions wise..
OnLine Jens Larssen
  2017-11-12 18:55:19    
I have just said "find the best time of the year to visit a specific crag" I have not said anything about when you find the best conditions. I agree what you say so I can not understand, "This is a popularity diagram not a conditions diagram".

I find it hard to say that the conditions in Kalymnos is best during the winter and I do not think many agree on this as it is very often raining...
OffLine CristiT
  2017-11-13 11:03:25    
I think the diagrams are directly linked/influenced with how easy is to travel at these crags, both are nice but i consider Kalymnos is great :) even on rainy days you have more options to climb then in Leonidio ;)
OffLine Henning Wang
  2017-11-13 18:35:17    
Is not "the best time of the year to visit a specific crag" naturally assumed to mean the best climbing conditions?
Why would it be best to go when it's crowded and conditions are bad?

I have spent x-mas/new years in Kalymnos twice and neither time did it rain a lot. 1 year we had rain for 3 days in a row, but as the big caves take a few days to get wet we could then climb there. Once it eventually started seeping the less steep walls where dry again.
With a lot of sun and wind most of the big tufa lines also dried up after a few days.

So yes you might have a higher % chance of rain in winter, but unless you get very unlucky and this last for a week or more it isn't really a concern. Temperature wise however it's way better then when people go in september/october..
OnLine Jens Larssen
  2017-11-13 18:46:12    
I think it is not wise to spread knowledge just based on that you have visited Kalymnos twice during X-mas. If you check weather stats and talk to the locals, you understand that it some years rains for two weeks in a row. This is more seldom the case in Leonidio and there you can actually travel to avoid rain which not can be done in Kalymnos.