20 October 2017

The Wheel of Life 8B+ (C) by Tom O'Halloran

Tom O'Halloran, who previously has repeated one 8B and two 8c+', has raised the bar by doing The Wheel of Life in Grampians, giving it a personal 8B+ grade. The 65 mover, was put up by Dai Koyamada in 2004 as the world's first 8C+. It should be noted that it is link-up of four boulders out of which all had inflated grades at the time, so Dai used them as the reference. (c) Amanda Watts "So a bout 5 weeks ago I made the 12hr drive down to the Gramps from the Blue Mountains with some friends, with the intention of just working on the Wheel. We only had two days due to work and family life, but it was very worthwhile! I was working it with a friend who is also trying to send the whole thing. He had a lot of beta he was able to unload to me. I did all the individual problems that weekend but felt along way from it being achievable. The 12hr drive home we were all just talking training! Five weeks later I’m back down here with my partner and three year old daughter for the Grampians Boulder Festival. Our first day here we got up to the cave for a quick 1hr session. I redid all the section and did a couple of links of the middle 2 and last 2 problems. Then yesterday I did it from my first ever try from the start. It was a surreal experience."

Tom O'Halloran - The Wheel of Life from Tom O'Halloran on Vimeo.

12 comments
Sort by:
Date
Most commented
Jernej Kruder sends Martin Krpan (9a) sans knee pads

Jernej Kruder, who won the Boulder World Cup in 2018, has done Martin Krpan (9a) in Mišja Peč. “I would like to expose something here: I spent many tries on t…

Welcome to Vertical-Life Web

Six years after partnering with 8a.nu, we’re excited to announce the unification of the 8a.nu website and the Vertical-Life app into a single platform: Vertical…

Will Bosi repeats Return of the Sleepwalker (9A)

William Bosi has made the second ascent of Daniel Woods’ Return of the Sleepwalker (9A) in Black Velvet Canyon, after projecting it for 12 sessions. This was th…

Related
Tiger Cat 8c flash by Jorge Diaz-Rullo

Jorge Diaz-Rullo has been in Australia since mid September and has logged four 8c+ routes including one he upgraded and one he downgraded, each of which were To…

Tom O'Halloran repeats Shadenfreude (31)

Today, Tom O'Halloran did the second ascent of Lee Cujes' Shadenfreude (31) at The Pulpit in Queensland. "It throws you into these really solid undercling moves…

Tom O'Halloran has done his first 9a, Baker's Dozen in Blue Mountains. "Relief. The hardest I've ever had to try."