28 August 2017

Tomasz Oleksy - Best ever in Combined

Tomasz Oleksy has won five Speed World Cups and two Boulder World Cups. In 2003, he won the Speed and the Boulder World Cup on the same day in Yekaterinburg and got a bronze and silver in the World Championship in Chamonix. During the same year, he won the WC overall in Speed and was #5 in Boulder. The following year the Pole tried Lead once and was #14. In other words, Tomasz Oleksy is the best Combined climber in history and shows that it is possible to perform in all three disciplines. If climbing would have been Olympic 15 years ago, he might have been the mega star with some golds medals around his neck! "Normally I trained Speed after one day of break when I was fresh. The rest of my training I focused on Bouldering training and Lead climbing, two days training and one day rest. In one period I tried to train two times a day but it was too much for me. Outside I was focused for climbing mostly onsight. I was able to climb 8b onsight. In bouldering I was able climb 7C+ onsight and 8B problems quite fast. I never focused on really hard stuff and I did just like two trips per year." (But he has done the FA of Tysiac kotletow 9a, in 2000.) Piotr Kotlarski tells us the extreme story from Malatal when Tomasz recommended his warm up boulder. ""Guys, a great boulder, a mix of coordination and power, I really like it". He'd done it like three times for fun, saying it is around 7C. Then the locals arrived and said he'd done Petting with an Alligator 8A+. Today Tomasz is working as an IFSC route setter and he did the Munich WC and now he is in Innsbruck for the Youth World Championship. "Fortunately this job offers me time for climbing so I am still more less in the game, 8a onsight :))). When I have time we try with my family to go climbing outside as much as possible. I think this is very important for Maja! Maybe my daughter will have chance to finish this Olympic story?" Follow up story with Maja, who did his first 8a this summer, Petit Tom in Céüse, at 9-years-old, soon to come.
23 comments
Sort by:
Date
Most commented
Jernej Kruder sends Martin Krpan (9a) sans knee pads

Jernej Kruder, who won the Boulder World Cup in 2018, has done Martin Krpan (9a) in Mišja Peč. “I would like to expose something here: I spent many tries on t…

Welcome to Vertical-Life Web

Six years after partnering with 8a.nu, we’re excited to announce the unification of the 8a.nu website and the Vertical-Life app into a single platform: Vertical…

Will Bosi repeats Return of the Sleepwalker (9A)

William Bosi has made the second ascent of Daniel Woods’ Return of the Sleepwalker (9A) in Black Velvet Canyon, after projecting it for 12 sessions. This was th…

Favorites
Will Bosi claims the first repeat of Burden of Dreams (9A)

William Bosi has done the coveted second ascent of Nalle Hukkataival's Burden of Dreams (9A) in Lappnor, Finland, confirming the 9A grade. It was put up as the …

Katie Lamb makes history

Katie Lamb has become the first woman to climb 8C+ by completing Box Therapy (8C) in RMNP. Daniel Woods made the FA back in 2018, and only Drew Ruana and Sean B…

"It was dramatic to the very end." On the 8a finish of Project Big in Flatanger, Jakob Schubert explains that a horn broke and he was close to falling. The last three minutes of the video show just how much this climb means to him."This horn could have ended my career... This was the biggest mental …