21 July 2017

Hörst' brothers go for the healthy pyramid approach

Cameron Hörst (16) has climbed two 8b+ routes in a day at Wild Iris, Wyoming, including a rare ascent of Todd Skinner’s legendary “Throwin’ the Houlihan” (historically graded 8b+, but now considered 8c by local consensus). The younger Hörst brother, Jonathan (14), has climbed multiple 8b routes in Wyoming, most prominent being his first ascent of “Threat Level Midnight” at Ten Sleep Canyon. It’s worthy to note that the Hörst brothers only climb 7 months of the year, thus taking a break to play other sports. Their father, renowned coach and author Eric Hörst, endorses a diverse approach to youth sports and training…for optimal physical and mental development, and to reduce risk of overuse injury among adolescent climbers. Read his article, Youth training and growth plate injuries. Four years ago Jonathan did his first 8b+ at 10 years old and he has now done 24 routes 8b and 8b+. Cameron did his first 8b+ at 11 years old and he has now done 17 routes 8b+ and 8c.
11 comments
Sort by:
Date
Most commented
Jernej Kruder sends Martin Krpan (9a) sans knee pads

Jernej Kruder, who won the Boulder World Cup in 2018, has done Martin Krpan (9a) in Mišja Peč. “I would like to expose something here: I spent many tries on t…

Welcome to Vertical-Life Web

Six years after partnering with 8a.nu, we’re excited to announce the unification of the 8a.nu website and the Vertical-Life app into a single platform: Vertical…

Will Bosi repeats Return of the Sleepwalker (9A)

William Bosi has made the second ascent of Daniel Woods’ Return of the Sleepwalker (9A) in Black Velvet Canyon, after projecting it for 12 sessions. This was th…

Related
9a and 8c+ (9a) by the Hörst brothers

Cameron Hörst has done Manphibian (9a) in Mt Charleston and there is a video. "Currently, I am on a summer-long climbing road trip in the western United States …

Resisting Arrest 9a FA by Kinder (42) and C Hörst (21)

Joel Kinder has done the FA of Resisting Arrest (9a) in Robbers Roost which Cameron Hörst repeated ten minutes later. Andy Raether bolted it in 2010 and then Jo…

Cameron Hörst sends third 9a in a month!

Cameron Hörst has done Zoolander (9a) in Red River Gorge. (c) Jonathan Hörst ”I belayed Alex Megos when he made the first ascent in the fall of 2019. Since then…