3 July 2017

Mutation is probably also 9a+

Steve McClure put up the still unrepeated Mutation in Raven Tor in 1998. It is like an 8A extension to Evolution which 8c+ grade, at the time, was questioned. Mutation took another 21 days after having done Evolution in six days. © Keith Sharples - I just thought Mutation was more than a grade harder than Evolution but as it had also been called 8c, I thought 9a seemed appropriate. Today, I guess Evolution is considered as an 8c+ and has only gotten five repeats since Jerry Moffatt put it up in 1995. Having trad climbed for 20 years, Steve started sport climbing when he was 24. At 26 he made his first 8a redpoint and within a year he did Evolution and two years later the FA of Mutation. In total, without counting variations and link-ups, he has done nine 9a to 9b FAs out of which five are still unrepeated. Adam Ondra did the first repeat of four confirming or even saying that they are at the upper end of the grade. Several climbers over the years have tried Mutation, including brief attempts by Sharma, Ondra, Megos and Brit Pasquill but nobody has come even close. It is possibly time to call for an upgrade to 9a+. This would make Steve the second person in the world doing a 9a+ after Alex Huber but before Chris Sharma's Biographie.
10 comments
Sort by:
Date
Most commented
Jernej Kruder sends Martin Krpan (9a) sans knee pads

Jernej Kruder, who won the Boulder World Cup in 2018, has done Martin Krpan (9a) in Mišja Peč. “I would like to expose something here: I spent many tries on t…

Welcome to Vertical-Life Web

Six years after partnering with 8a.nu, we’re excited to announce the unification of the 8a.nu website and the Vertical-Life app into a single platform: Vertical…

Will Bosi repeats Return of the Sleepwalker (9A)

William Bosi has made the second ascent of Daniel Woods’ Return of the Sleepwalker (9A) in Black Velvet Canyon, after projecting it for 12 sessions. This was th…

Related
McClure (39) is back in the scorecard game

Steve McClure, who has put up several 9a's in UK and who was appointed #35+ climber of the year 2008 and 2009, has recorded some ascent in his old scorecard fro…

Adam Ondra has taken some days of from school again and during a week in Britain done two Steve McClure 9a's in Kilnsey; Northern Light and North star. He also onsighted five 8b's; three at Malham and two in Kilnsey. In the specific Ondra style, he finds a way to give credit also when he fails, "M…

Adam Ondra tirou uns dias de férias e em uma semana na Inglaterra encadenou duas vias de 11c, abertas por Steve McClure, Northern Light e North star. Ele também mandou cinco vias de 10b à vista e acrescenta: "Vou ter que voltar para tentar a Overshadow. É um 12a bem forte mesmo. Talvez até 12b? Não …