29 February 2016

The very best climbers are taller, i.e. ~179 cm

"The very best climbers are taller". Several guys in the forum have said this is not true. Let us define the very best by the guys who have done both a 9b and an 8C since 2015 and add to that the Top-3 route climbers and boulderers as well as the Top-3 competition climbers in Lead and Boulder. Here is a list of the best climbers. Their average height is 179 cm. Surely, you could replace one or two guys from the list, which could reduce the average height to 178 cm, but even so - The very best climbers are taller! 185 Ondra 184 Bertle 183 Sharma 180 Bouin 173 Schubert 172 Megos T-5 Route/Boulders on rock 185 Ondra - 183 Webb 172 Megos - 173 Hukkataival 173 Amma - 183 Ceria Top-3 Lead/Boulder WC 185 Ondra - 170 Chon 178 Supper - 187 Hojer 173 Schubert - 185 Ondra Examples of other - shorter - top climbers who lately have been performing almost as good as the listed above. 159 Ramonet 160 Ashima Shiraishi 165 Dai Koyamada 169 Daniel Woods 170 Alban Levier 170 Stefano Ghisolfi PS If we were to shortlist just the Top-5 climbers in the world, I would think most would mention these: Ondra, Sharma, Megos, Webb and Hojer, which gives 182 cm as the average of their heights.
103 comments
Sort by:
Date
Most commented
Jernej Kruder sends Martin Krpan (9a) sans knee pads

Jernej Kruder, who won the Boulder World Cup in 2018, has done Martin Krpan (9a) in Mišja Peč. “I would like to expose something here: I spent many tries on t…

Welcome to Vertical-Life Web

Six years after partnering with 8a.nu, we’re excited to announce the unification of the 8a.nu website and the Vertical-Life app into a single platform: Vertical…

Will Bosi repeats Return of the Sleepwalker (9A)

William Bosi has made the second ascent of Daniel Woods’ Return of the Sleepwalker (9A) in Black Velvet Canyon, after projecting it for 12 sessions. This was th…

Favorites
Will Bosi claims the first repeat of Burden of Dreams (9A)

William Bosi has done the coveted second ascent of Nalle Hukkataival's Burden of Dreams (9A) in Lappnor, Finland, confirming the 9A grade. It was put up as the …

Katie Lamb makes history

Katie Lamb has become the first woman to climb 8C+ by completing Box Therapy (8C) in RMNP. Daniel Woods made the FA back in 2018, and only Drew Ruana and Sean B…

"It was dramatic to the very end." On the 8a finish of Project Big in Flatanger, Jakob Schubert explains that a horn broke and he was close to falling. The last three minutes of the video show just how much this climb means to him."This horn could have ended my career... This was the biggest mental …