meters to Paris
VERTICAL-LIFE STATS
Members
Total ascents
Ascents last 30 Days
Ascents last 24 hours
Open forum

Vandalism in Tyrol!!!

I have some sad news which should be posted on 8a.nu. In Sundergrund, Zillertal, one of the most famous boulders has been destroyed by vandals. The boulder "moonwalk" does not exist anymore - it has been fired down. It was one of the most impressive lines in Tyrol and for sure one of the best boulders there. Images can be found on Facebook in the group "Bouldern in Österreich/Austria".
Sorry for that double post. But this is so sick!!!
see also the topic below...
It sucks, but I'd also really like more info on why the presumed land owners did that. Did climbers, once again, piss off local citizens? Trespassing, annoying cows, shitting everywhere, not taking out their trash, playing loud music, putting tents in front of farming equipment and leaving for the day, ...? See access sensitive areas like Cresciano in Ticino.
G H
i hope its the landowners boys.. i would say if the landowners collects firewood and burns it its ok? because you can do what you want in your land? too bad the did it under a classic boulder. last time i was there 2 fucktards let their dog roam free hunt the goat population. i yelled at him to put it on a leash as it says on all the signs. told the farmer when we went down. hope he shot the fucker and not the dog.
It`s nothing new there in Zillertal. Some years ago, a farmer was also pissed of by boulderers on his ground, because they parked their cars where they should not. So the farmer took a barrel full of slurry and made the boulders full with cow dung. This stuff is so a adhesive and gluey on the rock that the boulders are still full of cow shit even years later. However, the grips are clean again.
update: the farmer owning the land called someone involved in the local climbing scene: link to facebook post apparently it was an honest mistake. tl;dr is that they cleared the field to prepare it for grazing cows, as they do every year; location for the fire was poorly chosen. followed by a couple comments on how nice and open the land owner was, about how what climbers do can be abstract to outsiders at times and the way people started a witch hunt on facebook is really not the right way to go about things (which I totally agree with).
Thanks Christian for posting this. It was really misleading to everybody and a bad accident. However, it shows that people should always talk to each other in a clear fashion. In each case, it is still sad that Moonwalk does not exist anymore.
Andi: I've started reading "So you've been publicly shamed" by Jon Ronson, fits this topic very well.