meters to Paris
VERTICAL-LIFE STATS
Members
Total ascents
Ascents last 30 Days
Ascents last 24 hours
Open forum

Idea of a different ranking list...

Hey, would anyone support the idea of a crag-region-based ranking list supplementary to the climber-nation-based list ("Who climbed the hardest route in France" instead of "who is the best climber of France")?  This could give an inspiration for visiting new crags in your region, trying new routes and maybe could enrich the community-idea of this website... Bad idea?
Great idea, I will talk to the webmaster :)
... and: why aren't the points calculated by the average grade of all ascents of each route, instead of the grade that each single person gives? 
The problem is that the difficulty of many routes change but we are working on a median feature :)
Well that's bad luck, but it doesn't happen sooo often that the difficulty changes. Maybe using just the average grading during one year???? Would solve the problem of upgrades caused by broken holds...
Has anyone ever considered having a weight class point system ??? We are given extra points for being over a certain age so why not for being over a certain weight. When i am not on a climbing trip and just climbing a couple of times per week i can reach 82kg but if i go on a 6 week trip then i drop down to 74 but then i am almost 52 years of age now so my metabolism isn't what it used to be when i was in my 20s. I would like to hear your thoughts because throughout my life i have competed in boxing and martial arts and i am also a cyclist and weight is a significant issue so why not in climbing ????? 
Bigger successful guys are rare in climbing but we will publish a 8B+ story by a 93 kilo guy. Sure in boxing you need weight classes as it is always better to be bigger but in climbing it can actually be an advantage to be tall so I do not like the idea of rankings based on size. In every sport and situation there are both good and bad things of being shorter and taller. To have weight classes in climbing would be to have weight classes in football...
I have to support Jens on this one =) If you weight 82kg even though your optimal weight is 74 it's because you lack training, as you said yourself... If I can do just one pull up because I'm out of shape I also do not want to be rewarded for an 7a as if I'm doing 8a in best shape... =) But if somebody is really tall and has a big muscle build 82kg could be his optimal weight and give him advantages over small 50kg climbers in some situations. So there is no need for weight-classes, as long as you are in the shape/weight-muscle-ratio that's best for you and your climbing style =)
Some examples: Daniel Woods, Sean Mccoll (small but strong build) Jan Hojer, Jimmy Webb (tall and heavy) Dave Graham (avarage and skinny) Adam Ondra (tall and skinny)... Why should we start to sort their achievements apart in different categories, when they all deliver on an equal level?=) It's quiet interesting to watch their different specialities =)
Thanks for the responses and i am aware of the advantages of different heights flexibility etc. During my training  regularly do pull ups with added weight for example if i do a climbing wall session i will then do a total of 150 pull ups 50 of which will be using an added 20 kilograms . I also snowboard at this time of the year and i road cycle too so i tend to add extra unwanted muscle mass. I know people who can do 8a in 2 or 3 sessions and they have been climbing 4 to 5 years but they cannot onsight 6c. I don't think that age i nesasarily a disadvantaged because certain aspects will improve . Like in my case i actually think i am climbing better on specific routes than i was when i only weighed 68kg and back then when i was under 30 i could do ten one arm pull ups and i can not do a single one armer now. I took a long time out from climbing (18 yrs) but i have been back at it since april 2011 and i am seeing steady progress but climbing has changed a lot during my absence and i have heard stories about people with terrible weight loss issues so i thought maybe that this would solve some of them issues. I also think that my body type changed during the years i was away from climbing because i did a lot of weights and now i am carrying muscle in places that are not so useful for climbing. If weight is not an issue then why is light gear so in these days and why are we paying premium prices for it.  I see that every route is not a level playing field and some routes feel easier than others but in sport climbing in Catalunya where i live all the best looking lines and massively overhanging. It clearly is beneficial to be lighter and that is being reflected in the kids that are coming through. Once again thank you for your responses but i do believe that if climbing was to go olympic then the judges and the betting shops would be looking into weight in a lot more detail.
By the way i forgot to mention that in boxing for example and martial arts there are many variables just like climbers differ in shape height etc but in both those sports there is an approximate level weigh and in both these examples you are competing with an ever changing battlefield and you have to invent your moves in split seconds but in climbing its a static unchanging playing field which you decide through experience which way to approach things but there is no getting away from weight being a disadvantage on say pulling on monos on steep terrain in say Maragalef is there ?