meters to Paris
VERTICAL-LIFE STATS
Members
Total ascents
Ascents last 30 Days
Ascents last 24 hours
Open forum

Margalef and other areas during winter

I'm looking for informations about margalef. I think about going there during christmas, maybe someone was there and can tell me if its to could? I will go there without car, can someone tell me if there is a small supermarket? Or someone know an other area around barcelona, which is good in the winter and possible without car? Thanks a lot!!  
Hi daniel, I was in Margalef 2 weeks ago - it was a bit cold in the Raco de la Finestra where the hard routes lay. There is a bus driving through Margalef. And you can stay at the refuge where you can have breakfast and diner if you are willing to pay (about 10€ for a good pasta plate or paella). There is a very small shop but I have not been there. There is a big supermarket about 25km away. Some cliffs are in the sun, but don't forget that you are on the other side of Montsant, so it can be chilly. good luck - Olivier
Hi Daniel Margalef is good place in christmas, but you need a car... I tink  without car is better Siurana (more sun, more rutes, more climbers, more sectors).You can stay at the refuge or camping and go to Margalef with someone. Siurana - Margalef 40 km. In Cornudella (6km Siurana) you have all you need. Good luck , if you need more information i'm happy to help you.
My best suggestion for a budget winter climbing holiday without a car is El Chorro. Once in Malaga it is just 1 hr by the train.
hey! margalef is great right now, the refuge ( 7 euros a night, warm, 2 euros for showers) always has people and the guy that runs it, Jordi, has bolted most routes so he will help you out choosing sectors etc. there is a tiny supermarket 5 min walk away from the refuge. its true that having a car is much better, but im sure you will find people once you are there. cheers karla
Hola Why is it better to have a car in Margalef? Is the crag far from the refugio?
The crags in Margalef is spread out. You would absolutely need a car.
hey, thank you all for the informations!! See you
It looks like terradets in a good winter crag near Barcelona if you don't have a car. There is a refuge within walking distance. I think there is a supermarket a few km away.
I would not rcommend Terradets as a winter crag. It is high up in the mountain and the sun is only at the crag from around 11.30, if I remember right. You have to climb at least 7c+ to have fun a full week.
If you havent got a car in Spain "El chorro" is the best place for climb in winter , "Cuenca" or Siurana in Spring and "Rodellar" in summer.
El Chorro no is good idea¡¡¡¡ The refuge is closed¡¡¡ And the sectors is Not very good........
El chorro is fine in winter without a car.  The refuge was shit so it's a good thing it is now closed.  The Finca is a much better place to stay (15 mins walk from the train station).  It has some of the best climbs in the 7a-7c range, and in 3 weeks there in Dec 08 i had only 1 day of rain.  What more could you want.
around barcelona there is really a lot to climb in wintertime; especially if you go for hardcore climbs as daniel probably will. first you can divide the areas into 2 bigger regions: sierra de prades (with margalef, siurana, mussara ..) close to reus and sierra de montsec (terradets, santa linya, santa ana, vilanova de meia, ..) close to lleida. both have the disadvantage of being quite high, so it can be really cold in the night, but (with sun) great for climbing at daytime. the first one is close to the sea, the second one more in the north linked to the pyrenes. so weather can be quite different even though they are only 1 1/2 hours drive from each other. anyway, it's hard to decide where to go, 'cause there is so much to climb in cataluña. by the way, there is montserrat too, really close to barcelona, but hard drying conglomerat and the hardest of the 3500 routes tend to be at the northern side. if you're interested and have the time, why not trying the abc-comp? (www.abc-climbing.com) we will visit three different crags in cataluña from 1-6.11. with the climbing bus, so you get some orientation and won't need a car.