meters to Paris
VERTICAL-LIFE STATS
Members
Total ascents
Ascents last 30 Days
Ascents last 24 hours
Dr 8a

Ganglion at the "ring band"

Hallo, since a few days i have pain at the beginning of my middle finger when i squeeze the point and i can feel kind of a "ball", very small but it hurts, for example when i climb on jugs ! It's a ganglion, what can i do against it or to prevent it ? any tips ? thank you
Hi Moris Sory for late reply Have been Railey climbing for a month and avoided the net. You proably have aquired an injury to the cruciate ligament of the deep flexor tendon ( se article in this years yearbook) Support tape with a relatively thight tape around the finger over the area. Stay away from hard climbing, especially crimping for a couple of weeks but stay generally active. Continue taping for at least 3 weeks. Get back to hard climbing slowly good luck björn
Hello Dr8a, I have the same condition as Morris Berthold, only in my case this "ball" is located between the thenar of my ring and middle finger, attached to the ring finger. The pain came after a crimpy bouldering session. At the beginning of the session I had the feeling I kind of overstreched my ringfinger while not getting a crimpy hold in the right way. I continued climbing (because I had no pain) and didn't feel a difference in strength in my finger. When I ended the climbing session I realised that "ball" in the palm of my hand, and it was sensitive to pressure. Also I wasn't able to stretch the ringfinger as usual because that caused pain. Now, after 4 days of total resting I can still feel the "ball", it is still sensitive when touched, stretching is possible (but not in full range). Unfortunately gentle massaging didn't let the "ball" shrink. I can hang on a ridge without any pain, but I avoid any kind of stress to the finger. My Questions: What did I do to my finger? Did I just overstretch the tendon or did I eventually rip it a little bit? Or is it in fact not the tendon (because when I move my finger I don't have the feeling that the "ball" moves too)? Is it eventually a ligament? I'm going to continue resting (without climbing) for a longer period of time and I will also continue with gentle massage of the spot. Is there anything else I could do? Thank you for your help in advance, Cheers Martin
Fyi: After 13 days of complete rest (no climbing at all) the "ball" in my palm at the joint capsule is gone, but the spot is still sensitive when pressure is applied (kinda feels like a bruise when I put pressure on it, but its not really painful). On the 14th day I started climbing again (outdoors on sharp rock), didn't feel any pain (not even when using slopers or crimps) and had no problems with the finger at all. I can also flex my finger as usual without any pain. I'm going to continue climbing, not to hard at first and avoiding crimps for a while. I expect/hope my finger will be completely healed within the next two weeks... Edit: After a month the ball isn't gone, but my finger is back to normal. No pain, not sensitive when pressure is applied, stretching is no problem. I asked a doctor almost two weeks ago about my injury and he thought it was a lesion of the joint capsule. That means the ball consits of joint fluid (sometimes it is possible to press the ball and therefore flatten it out, but I didn't want to try that). I guess the ball will never fully disappear, but as long as he makes no troubles I can live with that ;)