meters to Paris
VERTICAL-LIFE STATS
Members
Total ascents
Ascents last 30 Days
Ascents last 24 hours
Dr 8a

Rubber Substitute for Sport Tape

Does any one knows about a rubber substitute for sport tape? like rubber rings, i can almost swear I already saw people climbing with something like this... (in order to protect pulley injuries ) Best Regards Fred
I would have pretty hard time (ethically) to claim a climb when wearing rubber gloves/finger in my hand.
Do you climb bare foot? The rubber isn't to have an advantage but to reduce the disadvantage of having to wear tape all the time and then having less grip (even worst when its the middle finger of both hands).
I recall seeing rubber impregnated tape advertised somewhere, Climbing magazine? It would be a bonus if it is available, not cheating in my books. I mean you use chalk right? Just like Jammies (rubber hand protectors) or rubber knee pads, rubberised tape is just another innovation. If it helps us climb better then great! If anyone knows of where to get this tape please let us know, I would like to get some!
Of course this is not cheating.
Well, then I guess we see things differently. Chalk and rubber fingers are (in my opinion) a completely different thing. I would not use chalk if my fingers did not sweat, but they do, and thus I use it. With rubber fingers you might actually gain better grip than with your fingers which poses an ethical problem for me. Using tape is not a problem for since it reduces the grip. What comes to climbing shoes, I see them as part of the climbing experience and part of what I (and most the people I know) consider climbing. Maybe the guys at czech sandstone disagree and I'm quite fine with that. No one is in position of calling someone a cheater when it comes to ethics but if someone climbs something that I have done with rubber fingers on, then I consider that he has done a different climb than I have.
"What comes to climbing shoes, I see them as part of the climbing experience and part of what I (and most the people I know) consider climbing." who are you to decide what is and isn't allowed? tsk..
.....That's why I said that the guys in Czech sandstones might disagree (and you also?) and that I am fine with that (but still pointing out that all the climbers I know do agree with using climbing shoes). And in that same spirit, I guess the earlier commentors in this thread are quite fine with me disagreeing with their rubber fingers usage. They're called opinions and most of us have one.
of course, ultra light (thin) resin on hands (rock gloves) to boost climbing performance is the future of climbing. as well as once shoes were introduced. as well as chalk. its quite logical. stop orthodoxy, look into the future. no sence to be afraid of smart innovations. it will happen anyway ))