9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0
meters to Paris
VERTICAL-LIFE STATS
Members
Total ascents
Ascents last 30 Days
Ascents last 24 hours
Open forum

new age category 45+ (wish to have this)

Hey all the existing age cartegory 35+ is not really a age category. For me my best climbing happened in this years 35ü , real suffering and difficulies to get into shape started with 42. Could we have a extra age category , i.e. 45 + for real "old climbing guys" ? or is there another  possibility to filter the real old ones out? what do you think? Wolfi
I like this idea, a guy over 45 crushing 7c+ is  almost more impressive to me than an 18 year old mutant sending vhard, and more impressive than both are mothers who are sending hard, to me this is crazy, they should be in their own category
I have to adjust my wish and suggestion now to a category not 45+    -  but 50+. With this I could start a new scorecard 50+ from today on. Or could we combine this with the repetition scorecard matter- all climbs before 50 are no longer relevant (all Beta forgotten because of alzheimer, if I will repeat it I could count it as new or even as onsight?) In any case - keep on rocking Wolfi
nice try, old man!! haha... and then walking around the crag to give beta to the kids and show off your skills like some bleausards. No no...not in this game!! ;-) if you repeat your ascents in a weelchair, then you can have your own category :)   btw: Happy Birthday man!
What a good idea... I'm all for it. I might even enter some comps! Although Stevie Haston would win hands down whether it's over 35 or 50! :D
I want a category over 55 since I'm 57 and need a category between me and Stevie Haston. How about 5 or 10 year increments?
@greg you have a fine position (and my respect) being not "as young as  Stevie". Me - as I´m still a real bloody beginner in relation  - have to update again my wishes. I want to have a 50+ category with exception of the year in wich Stevie is (at the moment with exception 52). But I´m quite sure we all (45+ or 50+) should have learned meantime a more "wise" approach, which take the ones wich keep on scoring on a high level as an inspiration to keep on rocking by ourselves (although some walls may get steeper and some holds may get smaller) and not as a source of negative emotions and jealousy. Wolfi
The webmaster has this at the top of his prio list :-)
thanks in advance, Jens. to be serious - I think 45+ makes more sense than 50+. (this statement  is not because my young partners pressed me to this). Another matter which was on agenda for innovations in database:  scorecard including more routes (top 50 or top 100 with a factor; you gave some ideas about that and there was a thread here in Forum but I could not found it again). Wolfi
double post - deleted now - sorry Wolfi
what´s about the 45+? more interesting- what´s about the scorecard which does count more than the 10 top climbs. maybe 50 or so. I know many guys who do not concentrate on 5 or 8 very hard routes a year but send a lot of routes just below their personal limit within 1/2 , or 1 or maybe 2 days, but they got not so much points. In my opiniom however they are the more complete climbers, (not the ones who concentrate on a small number of routes and do it with a lot of work and dedication to this small number).
I agree. We have been thinking about this for a long time but it is so hectic for the webmaster with the App etc comming up but I will ask him to put it high up on his prio list. Thanks!
i do not care about the "ranking" at all. but the point-averages over the 10 hardest routes each year are a nice way of keeping track of personal progress. if that would be changed to the hardest 30 or 50 climbs it would be very hard to measure progress for all those people that only have the chance to climb on rock for one day a week (in average, all year-round). in countries like germany, britain, etc the climbing season lasts from march to oktober, if you have a full time job. so 50 (+/- 10 days) days on rock is a pretty good approximation of what a lot of people get to climb. think of it this way: if i concentrate ONLY on routes that i could climb with a maximum effort of 1 or 2 days, no long-time projects...this means i would already have a hard time climbing 20 "harder" routes a year...considering that i (like many people i know) like to spend at least half of my climbing days just on-sighting mid.grade or easy climbs. in 10+ years of climbing i have tried maybe 2 or 3 routes more than 2 days...i'm not a pro-climber and i do not have a crag in my backyard... an expansion to more than 10 routes would make the point-system meaningless for measuring the average climbers progress. of course it would be nice to give all those sending-machines that have a personal best of let's say...8a and send 40 or 50 7c's each year, credit...even if they never concentrate on long-time projects. but i think that they are rather the exception. or am i completely mistaken?
interesting! I guess it should be possible withouth too much hassle to modify the system to let people choose their own age/number of climbs range. keep the top10 as the link (with male, female, kids and old people distinction; 35 is IMO indeed a bit low), but insert a dropdown menu with age (all people your age, all people up to your age, all people from your age, and/or just 5-year increments), and also one changing the number of climbs that count (I'd say 10, 25, 50 and maybe even 100 for those lucky b*stards who get to climb a lot!). I don't know how the database is structured, but as all variables are present, this shouldn't be too hard.. I hope you guys can pull this off, good luck!
to have this clear: points are not important and only a small additional game. So this additional features are not really the most important thing on climbing world: What I like most on the scorecard game is to hear (read) about:  - the goals of people you are interested in  - new areas, new routes and the characteristic of this - some other guys judgment about the quality and difficulties of certain climbs PS1: I know some of the sending machines and they really impress me. PS2: There was also some discussion before about that point - counting more than 10 best - in another thread (which I cannot find anymore) and there was an interesting proposal: leave it as it is now (10 best) additionally you can count also this 10 best and additionally the next 20 and next 50 (maybe with a small reduction in points). I agree the ranking would be more complicated than and there would be a decrease in clear expression : who is the best climber , but this would be an additional sympatic result. (and the ranking is not the point we as weekend warriors are focusing on).  
I am much in favour of a +50-button! It's better to be a big fish in a small pond, than a small fish in a big...! But I have a much more important request: Webmassah, can we have an "EXCL. KALYMNOS" category!? All these friends of mine whom I beat on Swedish crags or on plastic with one hand in pocket and chalkbag forgotten in the car, when ever they return from yet another Kalymnos trip (suntanned and all smiles) they crush me completely with their 7b OS'es & RP's. I do not have a chance! So to screen out all Kalymnos tickoffs by a simple click could show who is ruling on those cold, shady, mosqitoinfested, humid, seepage and moss covered Swedish crimpdevils that I love (AND hate) so much! Looking forward! Regards Michael Hjorth / CPH P.S. When I get home from my first Kalymnos trip, I'll send the webmassah a note to tell him to remove it again...!
Just FYI the senior age categories in competitions are all over the place. In the UK BBC used to be 40+, SIBL Veterans 40+; in the US Triple Crown (Hounds Ears etc.) Ancient Hard Person is 35+ and Stone Master is 45+, the US national bouldering comp ABS Masters category is 40+.  45+ probably makes more sense now given the high standards older climbers are climbing at these days. 
grubber - are you sure that there should not also be a category of the best 75 climbs and wouldn´t it be great to have age categories on a twelve month base starting with 45 ??? Michael - love this "excl. Kalymnos" category (could be combined with the categories "45 - 46" and "has been to Iceland one time"). I´m just a little afraid that this will bring some trouble with the greek tourist office, as the crags will be deserted, as there will be no more climbing without points ?! For me I´m fine to be in the category 35 +, doesn´t that sound much better than 45 + ? Have fun and Michael - see you on Kalymnos, I´m sure we can improve our statistic !
Good and valid point, Horss! Like the beat of a butterfly wing...! A small computer algoritm created in a dusty Göteborg office will crush the economy of a Greek paradise! On the other hand it will not happen; some Greek lobbyist / gorillas will pay Jens Larsen a visit and offer him some Greek government bonds and advise, and the button will disappear...! And I will again have an argument for going to Kalymnos!
@ micheal: as if the greek government bonds are worth anything at the moment XD @ horss: I based my propositions on a database that would make it possible, so it would be something that can be calculated by a script. one line of code should give you an extra category (change your '40' for '50' for example). of course I do not propose that the webmaster hand-codes all our whims, we keep hearing how busy he is, right? it would just be nice to have more flexibility ;) - why so serious? -
Take care with the greek government bonds, if nobody believes any more in them, the greek government will finally be forced to sell the islands as these will be some of their last assets. I´ve heard that Roman Abramovich was allready knocking on their door, trying to exchange Manchester United against Kalymnos and the greek only refused because they would prefer FC Bayern Muenchen. However turning Kalymnos into Abramovichs holiday flat could solve the issue with the "excluding Kalymnos - category"...
PREVIOUS