meters to Paris
VERTICAL-LIFE STATS
Members
Total ascents
Ascents last 30 Days
Ascents last 24 hours
Open forum

Top-10 climber ever

We are preparing an article where the best climber ever will be ranked. What's your opinion? This is our improvised list but we are still searching for info. 1. Hirayama - 8b+ OS -99, 8c OS -04, W Champ, W Cup -98 & 00 2. Sharma - 9a+, World silver at 16, 2 WC boulder wins 3. Hill 4. Huber 5. Bereziartu - 9a, 8B, All Time #16, 1 Boulder WorldCup event, 6. Legrand 7. Güllich 8. Nicole 9. Usobiaga 10. Sansoz, Koyamada, F Petit, Erbesfield, Graham, Chabot, Moffat, Rouhling, Bernabe, Sarkany, Andrada, Cakdwell, Mrazek, Caldwell and Calibani
The 10 best climbers ever. That's really hard to tell (are we just talking about sportclimbing?)! But your list is definitely crap. Güllich among others on 10 ??!! What about women climbers (e.g. Lynn Hill)? The Hubers? etc. Have fun and good luck with info searching. There is still a lot of work waiting for you, I guess.
looks like a popularity contest instead. what about klem loskot? garth miller, ben moon jerry moffat iker pou blah blah blah
W. Gullich and in woman kat. L .Hill. than a big gap before the next....
no way...absolutely Gullich is number one, he is the story of free climbing!!!
tommy caldwell never gets respect on this site...let's see... Kryptonite 14d, Flex Luthor 15a? fa's 6 free yosemite big walls, dihedral wall at 14a Automator V13 second ascent Hell, the guy climbed EVERYTHING at rifle before he was 21 he deserves a top seat for sure Seems like plastic climbing is waaaay overvalued in this ranking wheras proficiency on actual rock is overlooked. Perhaps in that same spirit we should all start recording our climbing gym sends on our scorecards, then...
Yeah and he is missing a finger too...
I think Yuji or Caldwell...Sharma would not make the list in my book...even if we were just talking sport climbing. I would go with kids like Adam Stack over Graham or Sharma. 9a and the free Salathe... of all time...hard to be young and have the proper perspective, but Kauk, Bachar, Gullich, Edlinger... Lyn Hill and Josune...for the ladies. hands down. whatever happened to Liv? oh thats right she got dropped
This sound interesting to hear what these athletes have to say about their sport/lifestyle.
What about TomᚠMrázek??? This year he wants to win the World Cup. He is the World Champion of 2003. Youth World Champion of 2002. He did 9a and several 8b+ OS. When he will strike only for rocks you will see who is the best on rock!!! :))) REMEMBER this...
Kurt Albert is very god!
what about thomas bubendorfer?????
Markus Bock mustn't be forgotten!
Whoooow and it is HERE !!! Tomas Mrazek is a World Cup Champion :))) Congratulation...
My opinion is that such a ranking shouldn't ever prescind from considering the ones who really pushed climbing limits far ahead. So it shouldn't ever prescind the field these improvements took place (bouldering, sport climbing, mountaineering, big walls). Hence, seeing Chabot mentioned so close to Gullich is pretty disappointing, even with all the respect and the consideration I may have for the Frenchman. I don't want to say that climbing lots of 8c+'s and some 9a's is easy, but the weight of climbing the first 9a ever or the first 8c onisght or even the first 8b+ on alpine wall etc. must be taken into consideration while ranking top-climbers ever. By the way, and not only because I'm italian, where's Manolo?
The best climber ever is Wolfgang Güllich. First 8c, 8c+ and 9a, what more? In fact Action Direct was 11 UIAA which is 8c+/9a and look how many people repeated it and look how many news 9a we have around the world. Maybe there is something wrong with the grading...
And what about Elie Chevieux (first climber two onsight 8b+, two 8b+ in fact), Fred Nicole (probably the best boulderer), Klem Loskot, Fred Rouhling, Steve Mc Clure, Jerry Moffat, Ben Moon etc... No really it's not possible to rank the best climbers and I find the idea stupid. Why do we have to rank the best climbers? Competitions is there for that...
E *
Güllich had never did a 8c+...
Well, this is interesting. I don't think there is ever a way to tell an uncomplicated history, or to establish some ranking of who was the 'best' of all time. However, there seem to be some figures who have made a particualr impact on our sport beyond others: If you talk about sport climbing, the list must include Güllich at the top. Certainly the list cannot omit Bereziartu and Usobiaga. As far as sport climbing and bouldering (especially in the US), the list must include Sharma, I think, because he is really the first wunderkind. Certainly, we now have plenty of harder climbing members of the species - Graham, Chabot, etc. - but their popularity only came after the Sharma phenomena. If you talk about competition climbing, what about Erbesfield and LeGrand? Or what about Katie Brown for being the wunderkind of plastic? Sansoz? If you make a list of boulderers, you must weigh Loskot, Koyamada, Rands, Miller, Zangerl, etc. against Nicole, who has established more groundbreaking problems than anyone. Finally, how do you measure this against the amazing lifetime achievements of some climbers? The list here is clearly topped by Lynn Hill (remember, the Nose has yet to be repeated!) But must surely include Alex Huber, Yuji Hirayama, Jerry Moffat, Tommy Caldwell, etc. ... And what about the starters of it all? Royal Robbins and his European counterparts? Second wave superstars like Kauk and Bachar? Their place in history seems secure, but how do you fit their accomplishments onto a list? As others have mentioned, there are so many other inspirational climbers - now and then - I think that this task of ONE LIST is an impossible endeaver. However, it is nice to see everyone honor their heroes by making a case for them here! Cheers to ALL the greats!!!
Strange top 10. Gullich must be higher for sure. Think about the history of climbing. Where are people like Edlinger, Moon, Moffat, Glowac, Mrazek (already), McClure, Rouhling, Godoffe, Chevieux (who already climbed 8b+ like ten years ago)...? A bit more respect for Caldwell would be nice too. This is a hard job, creating a all-time-top-10, and maybe it's not that important anyway. Everybody has it's own place in history.
You are right sorry no 8c+, but Action Direct is 8c+/9a and Wall Street 8c. What about John Gill, Johnny Dawes, Jean-Pierre Bouvier, Stephan Glowacz? And the unbeatable Malcolm Smith? So once again I see no point to rank climbers, as well as 8a.nu, we must take it as a joke!!!