16 April 2010

CU belay glaces

Review CU Belay Glaces by Powernplay.com from Euro 97.50, by Joakim Andersson

I have been climbing for 15 years and I do not know if my friends are slow onsight climbers but my climbing trips always ends in neck pain and sometimes also headache. Last year I saw the CU glaces for the first time in Thailand. To say the truth I was quite suspicious if they could do the trick as they are small and during the 15 seconds I tried them, I just felt in the upside down world. Anyway, some few days later my friend had another 40 minutes challenge and I were anxious to try them.

One year later, Jens from 8a showed them to me at the local climbing gym and I asked him if I could try them. Actually, it is perfect to get used to them and actually trust them in a gym when your friends climb on top rope. After like 5 minutes, they did work just perfect and I found the exact position on my nose so I could both look up and straight forward.

Three weeks later I went to Siurana and they certainly made the trick. One day I forgot them and during this day I understood how good they were. In the first place they seem kind of expensive but to tell you the truth, now I would even pay double as much. After having used them some days, it is just natural to look straight forward when you are belaying somebody. The only obstacle is that you put them on and of and you are always afraid that somebody will stand on them or so. But actually, it is just when you climb you put them aside, otherwise they are just hanging around my neck. I do think they will become very popular in the future and I just hope they will note break the first time somebody stands on them or they fell down from a rock or so.
4 comments
Sort by:
Date
Favorites