2 September 2009

Jakob Schubert

Jakob Schubert comments on his last win in the Youth World Championship. He has done five 8c+ and he is #7 in the IFSC World Cup. He was #2 in his second Youth World Champion after he had climbed for 2.5 years.

Hi! I'm really happy about this win, it's a special one because it is my last year in juniors. The comp was very good organized, really professional! a lot of spectators and a nice atmosphere, what do you want more if you win? Besides the result surprised me and that made it even cooler, i was surprised because it was pretty quiet when i fell, that was probably because I stole a french win :). Also when i saw our route at the observation I was expecting a french win, because the half of our route was structured holds and I knew that the french team trained for 10 days in the gym of Valence and learned every structure... but then I climbed good enough and was very happy that I could hear my hymn at the ceremony. I think the whole Austrian team made a really good comp!

One of my climbing moments in 2009 was at the Worldcup in Barcelona, because I had a bad start in the season (26th in china, 11th in Chamonix) and I could make finals again! But another big moment for me in this year was when I did Dolby Surround a hard 8c+ in Zillertal, because it was the hardest route I have done so far and the first route where I had to try more than a couple of times to do it.

My future plans: In the second half of 2009 I wanna make Finals in every WC and hope that I can come back on the podium once. Besides I want to do some more hard routes at the rock, I plan to go to Gorges du Loup for 10 days after the WC in Puurs and in the winter I'll probably go back to Spain.

2010: I'll finally graduate in High school and will have even more time for climbing after that, so I hope there will be some amazing trips and some good results in the WC and in the European Championship.

1 comment
Sort by:
Date
Favorites