15 November 2015

Chilam Balam 9a+ (b) by Dani Andrada (40)

Chris Sharma comes with great news on Instagram: Dani Andrada has done the fourth ascent of Chilam Balam 9a+ (b) in Villanueva del Rosario. "Huge congrats to my friend @dani_andrada_climb for sending Chillam Balam today! I'm m so psyched and proud of you man! So inspiring!!!!" (c) Henning Wang The route was put up by Bernabe Fernandez in 2003 as the world's first 9b+ which created some controversy. Adam Ondra made the first repeat in just three days in 2011 suggesting soft 9b and later Seb Bouin has also done the 80 meter, 235 moves endurance monster. Dani has previously done two 9b's in Rodellar, both of which start with some 10 meters bouldering in the Ali Baba Cave before you clip into a route. The 40-year-old, "a muerte" climber, is also famous for being the pioneer putting up hardcore routes around Lleida and especially in Santa Linya. To Desnivel La Makina says that "It is possibly the most beautiful route I've done and the best in the world". Seb said he thought it was a 9a+/b or hard 9a+. Andrada also says that it took him over an hour including 25 no-hand knee-bar rests! In total, Dani has done 3 480 routes 8a and harder, 27 out of which are 9a's and harder. La Makina also says that he climbs 300-320 days every year! The bleeding eyebrow comes from a broken hold.
9 comments
Sort by:
Date
Most commented
Jernej Kruder sends Martin Krpan (9a) sans knee pads

Jernej Kruder, who won the Boulder World Cup in 2018, has done Martin Krpan (9a) in Mišja Peč. “I would like to expose something here: I spent many tries on t…

Welcome to Vertical-Life Web

Six years after partnering with 8a.nu, we’re excited to announce the unification of the 8a.nu website and the Vertical-Life app into a single platform: Vertical…

Will Bosi repeats Return of the Sleepwalker (9A)

William Bosi has made the second ascent of Daniel Woods’ Return of the Sleepwalker (9A) in Black Velvet Canyon, after projecting it for 12 sessions. This was th…

Favorites
Katie Lamb makes history

Katie Lamb has become the first woman to climb 8C+ by completing Box Therapy (8C) in RMNP. Daniel Woods made the FA back in 2018, and only Drew Ruana and Sean B…

"It was dramatic to the very end." On the 8a finish of Project Big in Flatanger, Jakob Schubert explains that a horn broke and he was close to falling. The last three minutes of the video show just how much this climb means to him."This horn could have ended my career... This was the biggest mental …

Will Bosi repeats Return of the Sleepwalker (9A)

William Bosi has made the second ascent of Daniel Woods’ Return of the Sleepwalker (9A) in Black Velvet Canyon, after projecting it for 12 sessions. This was th…