29 June 2015

To many technical incidents in the Boulder WC

During all the four Bouldering World Cups in 2015, we have seen several technical incidents where the judges have called the athletes down. The most frequent problems relates to when the competitors do not start in the correct way, i.e. touches the marked holds at the same time with both the hands and the feet. There has also been several incidents when the climbers have come out of bounce and in the last event, one guy reached the top safely but did not touch the hold with both hands for three seconds. In fact, situations like this when the athletes reach the top jug and get so happy so they just tap the hold with the second hand, happends often. If we are going to make it into the Olympics, the technical incidents must be minimized. Climbing is something natural and if the best boulderers in the world continue having problems for 15 years in a row understanding the constructed rules, changes are needed. I have hard seeing other sports having so many problems with technical incidents as in the Bouldering WCs. Would it not be easy to say that "technical incidents" in regards to the starting and topping out incidents only occur, when the judges can say that they did not start or finish in a controlled way? How can we expect that the potential non-climbers watching an Olympic final should be able to understand the rules when the judges interpretate it differently, just because it is not a Natural part of climbing?
14 comments
Sort by:
Date
Most commented
Jernej Kruder sends Martin Krpan (9a) sans knee pads

Jernej Kruder, who won the Boulder World Cup in 2018, has done Martin Krpan (9a) in Mišja Peč. “I would like to expose something here: I spent many tries on t…

Welcome to Vertical-Life Web

Six years after partnering with 8a.nu, we’re excited to announce the unification of the 8a.nu website and the Vertical-Life app into a single platform: Vertical…

Will Bosi repeats Return of the Sleepwalker (9A)

William Bosi has made the second ascent of Daniel Woods’ Return of the Sleepwalker (9A) in Black Velvet Canyon, after projecting it for 12 sessions. This was th…

Favorites
Katie Lamb makes history

Katie Lamb has become the first woman to climb 8C+ by completing Box Therapy (8C) in RMNP. Daniel Woods made the FA back in 2018, and only Drew Ruana and Sean B…

"It was dramatic to the very end." On the 8a finish of Project Big in Flatanger, Jakob Schubert explains that a horn broke and he was close to falling. The last three minutes of the video show just how much this climb means to him."This horn could have ended my career... This was the biggest mental …

Will Bosi repeats Return of the Sleepwalker (9A)

William Bosi has made the second ascent of Daniel Woods’ Return of the Sleepwalker (9A) in Black Velvet Canyon, after projecting it for 12 sessions. This was th…