28 June 2015

Petra Klingler - Late bloomer at 23!

"I started already young. Grew up in a climbing family and was in the mountains almost every weekend." Petra Klingler has been an active competition climber since 2006 with a slow but steady development upwards in the rankings. In the Euro Youth Lead events she was normally around #10. In 2009, the Swiss began doing Boulder WCs but it took her eight events before she made it into the Top-20 of the semifinals. Before her victory in Haiyang she had previously been #7 or #8, just missing the top-6 finals seven times, since 2012. "I guess I was ready on the right day. And finally everything came together. I invested quite some time over the last years but this year was not so good, because I had a finger injury at the beginning of the year. So I started training in the middle of march and was not sure I would be able to compete. Preparation was not the best but I was motivated over the last two months because finally I did not have so much pain anymore." When it comes to outdoors, she is also like a late bloomer with a personal best of 8a+ for routes and 8A in bouldering but with her recent peak performance, that just might change soon. "I am flying to the Rocklands next week for some outdoor tick-offs. I am staying four weeks. But I do not really have big plans. Nutsa is one of them but otherwise I just want to climb and enjoy my time with friends and hopefully climb some nice and hard boulders." More pics at PetraKlingler.ch It should be noted that it is very rare in the IFSC WC statistics that a climber who was not among the best as a junior or in the WC debut, has won a World Cup. The recent progress for Petra is very motivating for all the ones that train and fight very hard lower down in the rankings.
1 comment
Sort by:
Date
Most commented
Jernej Kruder sends Martin Krpan (9a) sans knee pads

Jernej Kruder, who won the Boulder World Cup in 2018, has done Martin Krpan (9a) in Mišja Peč. “I would like to expose something here: I spent many tries on t…

Welcome to Vertical-Life Web

Six years after partnering with 8a.nu, we’re excited to announce the unification of the 8a.nu website and the Vertical-Life app into a single platform: Vertical…

Will Bosi repeats Return of the Sleepwalker (9A)

William Bosi has made the second ascent of Daniel Woods’ Return of the Sleepwalker (9A) in Black Velvet Canyon, after projecting it for 12 sessions. This was th…

Favorites
Will Bosi claims the first repeat of Burden of Dreams (9A)

William Bosi has done the coveted second ascent of Nalle Hukkataival's Burden of Dreams (9A) in Lappnor, Finland, confirming the 9A grade. It was put up as the …

Katie Lamb makes history

Katie Lamb has become the first woman to climb 8C+ by completing Box Therapy (8C) in RMNP. Daniel Woods made the FA back in 2018, and only Drew Ruana and Sean B…

"It was dramatic to the very end." On the 8a finish of Project Big in Flatanger, Jakob Schubert explains that a horn broke and he was close to falling. The last three minutes of the video show just how much this climb means to him."This horn could have ended my career... This was the biggest mental …