22 May 2015

Dai Koyama and the dilemma with grades

Dai Koyamada has in relation to his FA of Horizon 8C written an interesting and thoughtful blog regarding grades, which starts. - I want to talk about the grade here, but to be honest, I don’t have the right answer. No doubt the Super Project was the hardest problem I’ve ever done and that probably means it’s a V16 (8C+). However, I’m not quite sure because I don’t have enough references to compare with. I would be able to fully understand what V15 (8C) is like exactly if I did more than fifty or so of them, but my accomplishments don’t even come close to that. I simply want to focus on climbing, not bothered with the grading. If I were not a professional climber, I would be climbing like that for sure." We will follow up this with follow up e-mail comments from Dai as in practice Dai has previously suggested 8C+ for two FAs and the problem for the media regarding reporting and focusing on grades. In general, 8a agrees on everything Dai says and we think it is good that Dai is so straight forward trying to move from the quantitative aspects of climbing into a focus on quality. © Ikuko Serata
5 comments
Sort by:
Date
Most commented
Jernej Kruder sends Martin Krpan (9a) sans knee pads

Jernej Kruder, who won the Boulder World Cup in 2018, has done Martin Krpan (9a) in Mišja Peč. “I would like to expose something here: I spent many tries on t…

Welcome to Vertical-Life Web

Six years after partnering with 8a.nu, we’re excited to announce the unification of the 8a.nu website and the Vertical-Life app into a single platform: Vertical…

Will Bosi repeats Return of the Sleepwalker (9A)

William Bosi has made the second ascent of Daniel Woods’ Return of the Sleepwalker (9A) in Black Velvet Canyon, after projecting it for 12 sessions. This was th…

Related
Dai Koyamada, 48, makes the FA of Okuro (8C)

Dai Koyamada reports on Instagram that after two years of work he has done the FA of Okuro (8C) at Kasagi. Dai first made headlines in 1998 when he was #4 in a…

8C (+) by Dai Koyamada

Dai Koyamada reports with picture that he has done the second ascents of The Story of two worlds in Cresciano which Dave Graham put up in 2004 and originally gr…

V15 (V16?) por Dai Koyamada

Dai Koyamada realizou a segunda ascensão do boulder The Story of two worlds, em Cresciano na Suíça, que o Dave Graham abriu em 2004 e graduou como V15, mas que …