5 May 2015

Climbers complaint is normal but here it is stupid

Two days ago, we presented this picture saying that they guys in Oplotnica had been given an OK from the landowner and that five high class granite boulders have been opened. The picture has been spread all over and Access Fund presented it and a high number of complaint where forward as a response. "This is one of the most elaborate landing zones we've seen. And it brings up an interesting question: should landing zones be altered to manage the risk of a fall or only to minimize the impact of climber traffic?" The main compliant relates to the "Leave no Trace ethics" and some guys suggest top roping would be better even included placing two bolts. For me this type of complaints is just a perfect example that inside the climbing community we have guys who just are critical to anything. I mean, what is the problem. Clearly this is in a forest that will be cut down in like 30 years or so. It is just lame to question this as you are sitting in your car driving on a road. Any development that can get climbers to come out from the gym and enjoy the nature is of course very good, especially as it does not "Leave any Trace" in the long term perspective which not can be said about the roads you use with your car.
30 comments
Sort by:
Date
Most commented
Jernej Kruder sends Martin Krpan (9a) sans knee pads

Jernej Kruder, who won the Boulder World Cup in 2018, has done Martin Krpan (9a) in Mišja Peč. “I would like to expose something here: I spent many tries on t…

Welcome to Vertical-Life Web

Six years after partnering with 8a.nu, we’re excited to announce the unification of the 8a.nu website and the Vertical-Life app into a single platform: Vertical…

Will Bosi repeats Return of the Sleepwalker (9A)

William Bosi has made the second ascent of Daniel Woods’ Return of the Sleepwalker (9A) in Black Velvet Canyon, after projecting it for 12 sessions. This was th…

Favorites
Will Bosi claims the first repeat of Burden of Dreams (9A)

William Bosi has done the coveted second ascent of Nalle Hukkataival's Burden of Dreams (9A) in Lappnor, Finland, confirming the 9A grade. It was put up as the …

Katie Lamb makes history

Katie Lamb has become the first woman to climb 8C+ by completing Box Therapy (8C) in RMNP. Daniel Woods made the FA back in 2018, and only Drew Ruana and Sean B…

"It was dramatic to the very end." On the 8a finish of Project Big in Flatanger, Jakob Schubert explains that a horn broke and he was close to falling. The last three minutes of the video show just how much this climb means to him."This horn could have ended my career... This was the biggest mental …