20 April 2015

Angie Scarth-Johnson (10) does 8c

Angelina Scarth-Johnsonhas set a new standard for 10-year-olds by doing Welcome to Tijuana 8c in Rodellar. "So happy to get this climb, the last move kept shutting me down, first 8c." To make the story even more amazing, Angie's parents are not climbers and she trains just some four hours a week. Video portrait from last year when she did a 8b. "The climb took her a 1 1/2 weeks including rest days to work it out, she got the first crux fairly easy. The thing that shut her down was the final move to the anchors which was quite reachy for her but she managed to find a way though it. She didn't really prepare that much for the trip, just her usual training which is about 1 hour 4 days a week. We built her a bouldering wall at home and she just plays a lot on it everyday when she is bored" says Claudia, Angie's mother. By comparison, Adam Ondra's personal best redpoint was 8a+ at 10, Brooke Raboutou's was 8b and Cameron Hörst's was 8a.
2 comments
Sort by:
Date
Most commented
Jernej Kruder sends Martin Krpan (9a) sans knee pads

Jernej Kruder, who won the Boulder World Cup in 2018, has done Martin Krpan (9a) in Mišja Peč. “I would like to expose something here: I spent many tries on t…

Welcome to Vertical-Life Web

Six years after partnering with 8a.nu, we’re excited to announce the unification of the 8a.nu website and the Vertical-Life app into a single platform: Vertical…

Will Bosi repeats Return of the Sleepwalker (9A)

William Bosi has made the second ascent of Daniel Woods’ Return of the Sleepwalker (9A) in Black Velvet Canyon, after projecting it for 12 sessions. This was th…

Related
Victimas Perez 9a by Angie Scarth-Johnson (18)

Angie Scarth-Johnson, who did her first 8c+ at age 12,has done the first female ascent of Victimas Perez (9a) in Margalef. (c) Jorge Diaz-Rullo How many session…

Red Bull Duel MP - Audacious and entertaining

Angie Scarth-Johnson, who did her first ever multi-pitch, was teamed up with experienced Sasha Digulian. “The first two pitches were so intimidating that I just…

Angie Scarth-Johnson lifestyle globetrotter since age 9

Angie Scarth-Johnson made the first 8a headline at age 9 by doing an 8b in Red River Gorge (KY). Amazingly, her parents did not climb but supported her big inte…