10 May 2015

Super cruxy projects are mentally harder to do, i.e. more impressive

There is a strong trend that the hardest reported routes and boulders are just getting longer. We almost never hear about short and cruxy 9a's or 8C's. On possible reason for this is that it is mentally easier to project longer climbs where you get to climb and can more easily measure your progress, compared to just falling over and over again and get the bad feeling of yet another failure. The climbing grading system measures and compares how hard it is to redpoint something. A short cruxy climb that takes equally long time to project as a long endurance monster could be given a harder grade, as it beside the physical and technical challenge, normally is mentally tougher. In practice, it is much more frustrating to try and fail several hundred times on a one-mover for several months compared to climb and fail at the top of a long climb. If your endurance projects last several months, you have enjoyed climbing more and you know that you have improved but that might not be the case for that sharp mono move you just came close to doing. In other words, it is more more difficult and more impressive to do routes like Action Direct compared to endurance 9a, even if you invested the same amount of time. This mental difficulty seems not to be included in the current climbing grading system and might explain why very few enter a new grade with a super cruxy project.
22 comments
Sort by:
Date
Most commented
Jernej Kruder sends Martin Krpan (9a) sans knee pads

Jernej Kruder, who won the Boulder World Cup in 2018, has done Martin Krpan (9a) in Mišja Peč. “I would like to expose something here: I spent many tries on t…

Welcome to Vertical-Life Web

Six years after partnering with 8a.nu, we’re excited to announce the unification of the 8a.nu website and the Vertical-Life app into a single platform: Vertical…

Will Bosi repeats Return of the Sleepwalker (9A)

William Bosi has made the second ascent of Daniel Woods’ Return of the Sleepwalker (9A) in Black Velvet Canyon, after projecting it for 12 sessions. This was th…

Favorites
Katie Lamb makes history

Katie Lamb has become the first woman to climb 8C+ by completing Box Therapy (8C) in RMNP. Daniel Woods made the FA back in 2018, and only Drew Ruana and Sean B…

"It was dramatic to the very end." On the 8a finish of Project Big in Flatanger, Jakob Schubert explains that a horn broke and he was close to falling. The last three minutes of the video show just how much this climb means to him."This horn could have ended my career... This was the biggest mental …

Will Bosi repeats Return of the Sleepwalker (9A)

William Bosi has made the second ascent of Daniel Woods’ Return of the Sleepwalker (9A) in Black Velvet Canyon, after projecting it for 12 sessions. This was th…