meters to Paris
VERTICAL-LIFE STATS
Members
Total ascents
Ascents last 30 Days
Ascents last 24 hours
Open forum

EpicTV in the sidebar

I think it's great that 8a.nu has found another service to corporate with, but could you make that EpicTV thing in the sidebar above your editorial to not auto play videos? The plugin slows down my browser and the sound or just the fact that something just started playing that I didnt want to watch in the first place is annoying. Cheers.
Same for me. I found a temporary solution: Get the Firefox PlugIn - "NoScript" and forbid "Epic.Tv". --> The Epic-TV-Sidebar won't load. Actually this is maybe the best Addon for Firefox. It is able to block adds & every other script (external) that is loaded via any website you visit. Really good against malicious codes in scripts I guess. You may be surprised ... facebook everywhere ;)
We are working together with EPIC to improve it and it will be quicker this week and other ideas are tested. I do not understand what you mean when you say it makes noise?
I bet he's hearing the gears crunching and turning in his computer
I do not get this as the sound is turned off in default. Maybe you have switched it on and you can just turn if off again?
More than one week later but no change. Is it really that hard to switch off the autoplay "feature"?
EpicTV continues to improve their video services and it seems it does not slow down the surfing and it auto-plays just lnce every session or every hour. They are working with making the videos apoear randomly. We will present a story about their ambition and actually how they have bought videos from hundred climbers. I think they have had a great impact already in the climbing community and we would like to be part of this.
It does not seem to slow down the surfing? I can't speak for someone with a new 1000$ rig and a nice steady internet connection, but 8a.nu ALWAYS takes a while to load, now with epic TV in the sidebar I don't even want to visit 8a.nu anymore. My visits have gone from 2-3 per day to 2 times a week because of that.
Thanks for the info we will forward it to EpicTV. Could you please describe how much it slow down? Based on the stats we do not see any lower numbers of visitors.
I agree with Christian: 8a.nu was never a quick website. The EpicTV sidebar just made it worse. It slows down the loading of the page with a couple of seconds (to be exact, it adds a few seconds to load the full page and the last element to appear is EpicTV). The auto play is really annoying (even without the sound); the content might be interesting, but feels like an advertisement, so I just stop it and ignore the videos... I definitely spend less time on 8a.nu since the irritating sidebar implemented.
seems like they deactivated the auto play, thank you very much. anyways: what bacsip said.
Anderl, you jinxed it for me, now it autoplays again.
As I have written higher up, it auto-plays only once during one hour. If you first go to the global page and later check the scorecard, it only auto-plays the first time. 
why not stop the autoplay-function at all?As written above, if you have a slow internetconnection, it slows down the page very much, because there is an additional clip that needs to be loaded, even if you don't want to see it. And to be honest: if ANY website forces me to watch its video by letting it autoplay, my brain automatically switches on "ignore-" and "hate the page-"mode... In my opinion it's just annoying... If I want to watch it, I can also click on it! Another thing is that there are still some people surfing with limited MB that they can download for free. If you automatically load the video every time you visit the page, it will get expensive...
We have discussed this further with EpicTV and of course it is also important for them to get good feedback. We will change it to auto-play once every 24 hours but we will continue our discussion to find the best solution. The more a video is played the more money the video producer get but this does not effect 8a.