2 December 2014

IFSC have sent out BMI notifications to WC athletes

During the Lead World Championship in Gijon, IFSC measured the weight and height of all the athletes in order to measure the BMI. Now, IFSC have sent a personal warning to all athletes, below what it seems, BMI 18 for the female and 17 for the male, which also their federation received. The federations have been told that they must confirm that they received the BMI warning in order to get a competition license 2015. Already six years ago, 8a started to discuss the subject and suggested that IFSC should follow up that some climbers were to skinny based on BMI 17. Independent wrote an article based on this. Austria demands since many years BMI 17 for male and 18 for female in order to compete in the WCs. Here are some examples to just score below 17. 180 cm = 54 kg 170 cm = 48 kg 160 cm = 43 kg
28 comments
Sort by:
Date
Most commented
Jernej Kruder sends Martin Krpan (9a) sans knee pads

Jernej Kruder, who won the Boulder World Cup in 2018, has done Martin Krpan (9a) in Mišja Peč. “I would like to expose something here: I spent many tries on t…

Welcome to Vertical-Life Web

Six years after partnering with 8a.nu, we’re excited to announce the unification of the 8a.nu website and the Vertical-Life app into a single platform: Vertical…

Will Bosi repeats Return of the Sleepwalker (9A)

William Bosi has made the second ascent of Daniel Woods’ Return of the Sleepwalker (9A) in Black Velvet Canyon, after projecting it for 12 sessions. This was th…

Favorites
Katie Lamb makes history

Katie Lamb has become the first woman to climb 8C+ by completing Box Therapy (8C) in RMNP. Daniel Woods made the FA back in 2018, and only Drew Ruana and Sean B…

"It was dramatic to the very end." On the 8a finish of Project Big in Flatanger, Jakob Schubert explains that a horn broke and he was close to falling. The last three minutes of the video show just how much this climb means to him."This horn could have ended my career... This was the biggest mental …

Will Bosi repeats Return of the Sleepwalker (9A)

William Bosi has made the second ascent of Daniel Woods’ Return of the Sleepwalker (9A) in Black Velvet Canyon, after projecting it for 12 sessions. This was th…