20 October 2014

Old school 8b+ by Philipp Gaßner (14)

Philipp Gaßner, who did his first 8c being 13 years old, has done Happy Bizeps To You 8b+ in Schleier Wasserfall which was set up in 1992. It is the highest quality rated route at the nice crag located high up in the Austrian mountains. "For sure my hardest route so far!" SW was mainly developed during the 90-ies and it is here Alex Huber pushed the standards including Open Air from 1996, which might be the first 9a+ based on it's recent upgrade. Based on star ratings, SW is one of the best crags in the world but even so there are just 2 500 ascents in the data base. One possible explenation for this is the hard gradings and maybe the best way to make more climbers to enjoy the very good climbing is to make a general upgrade in order to fit the modern standards? It should be noted that all the seven routes 8b+ and harder Philipp has done are located in old school crags suggesting that there are plenty of room for grade progress, visiting some modern crags.
5 comments
Sort by:
Date
Most commented
Jernej Kruder sends Martin Krpan (9a) sans knee pads

Jernej Kruder, who won the Boulder World Cup in 2018, has done Martin Krpan (9a) in Mišja Peč. “I would like to expose something here: I spent many tries on t…

Welcome to Vertical-Life Web

Six years after partnering with 8a.nu, we’re excited to announce the unification of the 8a.nu website and the Vertical-Life app into a single platform: Vertical…

Will Bosi repeats Return of the Sleepwalker (9A)

William Bosi has made the second ascent of Daniel Woods’ Return of the Sleepwalker (9A) in Black Velvet Canyon, after projecting it for 12 sessions. This was th…

Related

Philipp Gaßner has done Fonax (8c+) and in Nassereith. ”I am happy to have climbed Hades which is a great endurance test piece. It starts with moderate climbing and then leads to the crux section. The crux is about powerful moves on relatively good crimps and ends with a daring cross move. After th…

Philipp Gaßner does Trofeo dell'Adriatico, making it his first 9a+

Philipp Gaßner, who did his first 8c (+) at age 14 in 2014, has sent Trofeo dell'Adriatico (9a+) in Arco. (c) Michael Picculruaz Can you tell us more about Tro…

Philipp Gaßner has done two 8b's in Frankenjura, Plan B and Nose grind. The last time we saw such impressive ascents of a 11 year old in Frankenjura was Adam Ondra in 2004.