22 September 2014

8a by Lee Sheftel (68)

Lee Sheftel who did The Whole shot 8b (+) when he was 59, see picture, and later had both hips replaced gaining 2.2 kg, has done Eulogy 8a (7c+) in Rifle. Is Lee the oldest guy who has done an 8a? "I typically climb 3 days per week, either on the rock or training. During the summer and autumn it's almost exclusively on the rock. In the winter I train in my home gym which is my entire garage. Lately I have incorporated a Beastmaster hangboard into my training regimen. Because strength is my weakness I try to focus on strength training and power endurance during the winter training. Because I am a tax consultant, it's a balancing act during the months of February thru April 15th. Especially since I ski as well. I think that I can still climb at a fairly high standard is because although I have lost a little strength and power ability, my technique keeps improving and I know how to get fit."
6 comments
Sort by:
Date
Most commented
Jernej Kruder sends Martin Krpan (9a) sans knee pads

Jernej Kruder, who won the Boulder World Cup in 2018, has done Martin Krpan (9a) in Mišja Peč. “I would like to expose something here: I spent many tries on t…

Welcome to Vertical-Life Web

Six years after partnering with 8a.nu, we’re excited to announce the unification of the 8a.nu website and the Vertical-Life app into a single platform: Vertical…

Will Bosi repeats Return of the Sleepwalker (9A)

William Bosi has made the second ascent of Daniel Woods’ Return of the Sleepwalker (9A) in Black Velvet Canyon, after projecting it for 12 sessions. This was th…

Related
8a by Lee Sheftel (68)
8 November 2014

8a by Lee Sheftel (68)

Lee Sheftel who did The Whole shot 8b (+) when he was 59 and later had both hips replaced gaining 2.2 kg, has done Single Rainbow 8a in Rifle. This is what he s…

Lee Sheftel, who is turning 70 next year, has had one amazing day in Rifle having done two 7c+, The Kiss That Stings and All quiet for western slope. The 69-year-old started working them this spring. "I went back to them about two weeks ago and things went much better. I often find that if I get s…