18 July 2014

Topo for Roca Verde, north west Spain

Roca Verde, "uncovers one of the best-kept secrets in Spanish climbing, the numerous superb venues and fantastic sport climbing in and around the ‘Cordillera Cantábrica’ mountain range in north west Spain. Roca Verde contains over 40 selected venues, over 190 distinct sectors and nearly 3000 routes. Just as importantly, it includes the information the locals know; how to choose the right venue for sun or shade, summer or winter and for whatever grade you climb." Richie Paterson explains why there is no star rating in the topo. "Because the local climbers didn't want to go that way. They felt that this led to polish and crowding at certain areas and that it was better not to do that. Obviously, I have to listen to that and I agreed. The truth is that in the crag descriptions and with the quality pictures I hope that people will be able to pick out the best crags and once they get there they can pick their routes." Personally, I think it is kind of egoistic from the locals to not give advices on what is best. If somebody at a crag asks me for recommendations, surely I tell them instead of having them climbing some poor routes on their vacations. In the long run, this is solved by the 8a Tick List as this is a quality ranking what the community thinks.
13 comments
Sort by:
Date
Most commented
Jernej Kruder sends Martin Krpan (9a) sans knee pads

Jernej Kruder, who won the Boulder World Cup in 2018, has done Martin Krpan (9a) in Mišja Peč. “I would like to expose something here: I spent many tries on t…

Welcome to Vertical-Life Web

Six years after partnering with 8a.nu, we’re excited to announce the unification of the 8a.nu website and the Vertical-Life app into a single platform: Vertical…

Will Bosi repeats Return of the Sleepwalker (9A)

William Bosi has made the second ascent of Daniel Woods’ Return of the Sleepwalker (9A) in Black Velvet Canyon, after projecting it for 12 sessions. This was th…

Favorites
Katie Lamb makes history

Katie Lamb has become the first woman to climb 8C+ by completing Box Therapy (8C) in RMNP. Daniel Woods made the FA back in 2018, and only Drew Ruana and Sean B…

"It was dramatic to the very end." On the 8a finish of Project Big in Flatanger, Jakob Schubert explains that a horn broke and he was close to falling. The last three minutes of the video show just how much this climb means to him."This horn could have ended my career... This was the biggest mental …

Will Bosi repeats Return of the Sleepwalker (9A)

William Bosi has made the second ascent of Daniel Woods’ Return of the Sleepwalker (9A) in Black Velvet Canyon, after projecting it for 12 sessions. This was th…