VERTICAL-LIFE STATS
Members
Total ascents
Ascents last 30 Days
Ascents last 24 hours
Open forum

Knee pads

deleted
Well, you would probably need to be bouldering above v5-v6 to really appreciate those things, but nonetheless, as far as I now, there are no companies producing them, but if you go down to your local shoe repair shop, get a resole kit, or by some other method, obtain a square of extremely soft rubber, you can then proceed to back it with cloth, sew it on if you choose, and then use two nylon straps with buckles, attached either directly to the rubber, or to the cloth, and voila, you have you own amazing knee bar machine, but, make sure your project requires knee bars, as those are not very common occurances, expecially in my area, I have seen one knee bar problem the whole time I climbed here. BTW, I woulc recommend using five ten's c4 rubber as it is somewhat durable, and wonderfully sticky, and  hard enough to protect your soft knees. The pad can be used on the inside or outside of the hip or calf as well, to aid with other funky maneuvers, but there is talk of a ban on such climbing aids, as this is not far off from people using Mad Rocks Sticky fingers and rubber body suits when climbing, so, use it sparingly.
they sell those at the mountain equipment coop in canada. The business call Delire. They goes at about $40 and they sell is 2 size. Work good for me . joel.
deleted
Definately post the company producing them if you can, cause the resole kits run like 20-30 from Five Ten, and if this company really makes them, they would be more affordable, and shave a lot of time off the whole process for me.
the name of the manufacturer is call Delire. http://www.delireholds.com/KP.shtml enjoy.
Wait, if they are using Stealth c4 and glue, wouldn't it be cheaper to just make on of these? It is like the exact same thing as what I posted, with a little less work put into it. I have a new Formula Half sole Resole kit=30 us with shipping, and cloth and straps are like 5, so, cheaper!!! AHA. But thanks. I just wish I could read more french. BTW, somebody should see if Trax rubber or another brand work as well, I would imagine it would be nifty to match your pad to your shoes.
Hi guys. Just in case you're interested, Upskill Climbing is now manufacturing two types of kneebar pads for climbing. You can read more here . Based in Australia but are shipping international.
got some delire knew pads after trying them in rodellar, they are the best ever..;shame there not imported yet to europe. Though you can email them and call them to arrange shipping to europe...well worth the hassle!for those arms saving knee bars!!!
I'll pitch in, I've made lots of these things. A climbing knee pad is just a neoprene knee brace with rubber glued on. Get the knee brace a little large so you can pull it up over you knee cap. Here's a link to one that would work (without the hole in the middle):  http://www.muellersportsmed.com/Knee_Sleeve_Open_Closed_Patella.htm You can get rubber from a resole kit or from a local shoe repair shop that resoles climbing shoes. Just ask for two 4 inch by 7 inch pieces of climbing rubber (one for each pad; you euros can do the metric conversion). The rubber used for resoling the rand of a climbing shoe works best since it's a little thinner, but it really doesn't matter. Stealth, vibram, griptonite, whatever.  Get some rubber cement to stick it all together. Barge cement works best. Most of the rubber cement you find in stores is too runny and just soaks into the knee pad, but if you use enough it works. Here's my favorite glue: http://www.rockcreek.com/camping-essentials/barge-cement/?ref=RCO_googlebase Then you take some sand paper and rough up the inside of the rubber so the glue will stick. Put glue on the rubber and the pad, let it cure for ten minutes, then put the two together. The rubber should be even with the very bottom of the pad, but it doesn't have to go to the top. You only really use the lower half. Use the rest of your glue to make sure the edges of the rubber are solid and then put a bunch of books on it over night. The whole thing costs about $20 a pad here in the US. They last a long time. Use ducktape to keep it from moving around on your leg while you climb. If you're really serious, use a taping adhesive as well, like this: http://www.redrhinosports.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/SFV/31974/vpid/5462392/vpcsid/0/rid/124699 There it is, the secret of the knee bar. 
Hi, if you are still interested in knee pads you can check Go Climbing knee pads . They are hand made, with rubber Mad Rock. It is situated in Bulgaria but they have shipping in Europe.
hi guys! I bought a Five Ten Kneebar Pad some weeks ago, and I'm sure that is what Dave Graham is wearing as a Five Ten athlete, in the pics he just asured them with Tape. Works perfectly and much better than any selfmade solution I tried before!
That means: 1) You cannot use your knees properly, otherwise you will realize how bad 5.10 kneepads are. 2) You are quite clumsy, otherwise you would be able to make much better ones yourself :)
A knee pads like 5.10 have some benefits, and of course some disadvantages. The main disadvantage for me is that you put them very hard - pulling the knee pad, pullng the pants'legs and at the end you are exhausted before you start climbing. On the other hand, if you have a knee pad that didn't unfold completely you have one main benefit- you can put it right at the and of the thigh. This can be very important in difficult knee bars. I was made two different models - one that unfold comletely and the other one that didn't unfold, to test it. If you are interested you can see it - http://goclimbing.ida.gd/knee-bar-pad/  But I can't say that the one is better than the other. They are different and they work good in different sitation.
I know we are years removed from the original post, but for anyone in the US, Steph Davis has some sound advice.  While Rock and Resole, 5.10, and Send Climbing all make "commercial" knee pads, to get the best fit you are probably best off buying a knee support that fits you best, and then sending it to a resoler to have the rubber applied: http://stephdavis.co/blog/how-to-get-awesome-stealth-knee-pads/
@pbla4024:Markku Laine asked for information and I tried to help, I don´t know what your statement is about? None of your points makes sense or helps anybody... .  And:"No", my knees work quite fine, thanks! I simply don´t have the time to try out knee-supports, finding a good reseller, sending it, buying the parts and McGyver around. If you count the time, the parts,... a selfmade solution is often more expensive than a comercial one. Maybe it´s a difference, if you climb in area with lots of tufas,... or in areas where a kneebar is a exception. I just use it in a project I´m trying after cutting my skin and trousers a couple of times on a sharp edge in the knee bar. Normally I prefer to climb without, sometimes a knee bar pad feels like cheating anyway!
My statement is that 5.10 kneepads are quite bad: 1) There is only one size and it is too big for skinny legs 2) The elastic part is too narrow to keep the kneepad tight and it degrades quite quickly and looses the elasticity 3) Bottom rear part has got sharp edge, it cuts the tendons behind the knee 4) The rubber is too thin and soft, it does not offer enough support for painful kneebars 5) Lower edge of the rubber is not flush with the lower edge of knee pad. That is the area with the highest load and with their current design it is unprotected 6) The higher strap should be moved few centimeters lower to get better fit 7) Lower edge is convex, that leaves the sides of knee exposed. Straight edge is better. 8) I have seen some quality problem, I repaired those for a friend, stitches were loose and the rubber was coming off
I didn't use 5.10 knee pads, so I haven't any opinion about them.But I used Send knee pads and the main disandvantage according to me is that they are very thick and heavy. Definitely it's good for painfull knee bars, but for precise ones it isn't suitable.