meters to Paris
VERTICAL-LIFE STATS
Members
Total ascents
Ascents last 30 Days
Ascents last 24 hours
Open forum

climbing 9a in a year... from 5c

I managed to put away as much money as I could in the past 5-6 years and I can now dedicate one full year just to climbing... no work, very little family, contact only with friend that climb.   I'm 29 years old, 175 cm, 64 kg, physically weak, mentally very strong, and today i send maximum 5c. I would like to have your opinion, do  you think I can reach 9a in one year? Obviously if you have any suggestion feel free to tell me... anything will help: special training ideas, yoga courses, benedition from the Pope etc... P.S.: this is not a reality show so don't worry I will not send you any picture of me suffering on a 6a...
not going to happen. Maybe, MAYBE if that 9a is in thailand, but you'd be very special indeed. good luck
If people could climb 9a in just a year of dedication we would all climb 9a, but the truth is thas there's only a bunch of people in the world that can actually climb that.
Sorry Giulio, but unless your brain and your body are beyond human, you don´t have a serious chance. Three reasons: 1. Your connective tissue, ligaments and joint substances need much longer to strenghten than your muscles (something like three times as long, I think). So even if you´d have muscular fingerstrenght like a pro in half a year, your fingerjoints and the tendons in your fingers and arms would break. 2. Your cerebellum (the small guy in the back of your head) won´t be able to learn to control your body with the energy-efficient precision that you´d need. 3. I guess you need quite some cycles of stress and adaptation, stabilisation, etc. before you can get that strong... in most sports one needs up to 7 years to be at maximal physical capability (read that in some book...) Anyways, if you get it done, tell me how ;) Good luck and have a lot of fun the next year!
what a crapy topic!!! unless u guys want to end up unable to climb at all or even pick up a cup of tea in the future please stop the silly mess and use your brains to train in an efficiant way (books and methods exist all over the net!) and first of all have fun! lots of it! Give your body and brain the time to adapt to this wonderful sport. + You might train for 10 years and never come close to 8a. Why? because you don't have the talent!! So, train a lot, with intelligence, have fun and be greatful for each improvement AND: don't get hurt! P.S. One example 4 real methodic training: www.jollypower.com Saluti a tutti
Going on 8a (indoors) might be possible if u are extremely talanted in the time-span of 2 years i would think. Outdoors....well it is a completely other business. 9a, outdoors, well, if u make it in less than 4 years u will be historical, hope thats enough
Hi Giulio, I'd recommend you to buy a climbing specific book and follow the training programmes described there. Train wisely, avoid overtraining and injuries, and there's no knowing what grades you'll climb after a year. And remember,  climbing is not about grades but enjoying the sport!
You are dreaming, it will never going to happen. If it would work you would become the 8th world miracle.
I'm sry but you are dreaming whatever you do you will never reach 9a in one year even  the actual stronger climber haven't reached it in one year but more than 3 in the shortest time I think. If u reach 8a it's rather good and it's a good performance. Good luck and don't forget that the most important thing in climbing is to love what you do and just climb for you and own satisfaction, focus on an objective and put in your mind the objective to do absolutly 9a is not right and it's the best way to never reach what you want. Just climb a lot in someday your glory will come but you should wait a bit :p . And the final citation ownmade : the best way is to be happy while being weak than to force yourself  to become strong. Cu soon man and have fun of your year without any task :)
Giulio, I sincerelly think that you should think of this year you are going to have, as a climbing year, climb the most you can and concentrate not in reaching a specific grade, but to improve your climbing moves, like drops and flags, the strenght will come as you are climbing. Dn´t push too hard, because an injury can spoil your year. Good luck and nice climbing
oh man, why you all take this guy serious. its a joke, nothing else !
I hope i didn't offend anyone with this forum it was not my intention... Everything started some months ago after a beautifull day of climbing and after a couple of beers... maybe more :) Three people who fell deeply and quickly in love with climbing could not stop thinking about leaving everything just to run around the world and stick as much as possible to any kind of mineral on earth... the aim of reaching 9a was just to shoot as big as we could. It started as a joke, and obviously no one is really thinking about reaching 9a, but we did leave everything behind, and everytime one of us improves even just a bit for all of us is like reaching 9a time after time. The love has not diminished a bit... From all your comments what I really understand is that the thunderstrike of climbing has hit all of us... It's worse than my first love in highschool... P.S.: Unfortunately (if my girlfriend reads this she is going to kill me) I found out that i'm gonna be dad... so the dream shifted drastically... but who nows maybe in 10 years time me and my kid will go again for the mythical year off to reach 9a...
Good on you for posting a topic that is only semi-serious, the people that reply in a nasty way obviously take themselves far too seriously! Its fairly obvious that those climbing 9a have trained their bodies for many years to be capable of this grade. But the challenge that faces you with a new life on the way will most likely be way harder, and more rewarding!, than climbing some grade. Congratulations to both of you! PS Better get out to as many crags as you can now, before you are deprived of sleep and your freedom!!
can I climb 9c+ in 3 months?  someone please tell me yes !
don't feed the troll
11 "serious" answers... lol! Giulio, whoever you are, you're a genius :D ps I reckon you seriusly need to be able to do at least 10 one-arm pullups on 2 fingers with 30 kilos on your waistbelt to climb 9a. Work hard on that, forget about actual climbing for 6 months at least. You wanna be a strong bastard don't ya? haha ;)
I thought it was a joke when I first read the title of the forum, but this is my story so far... I started climbing a year a nine month ago (march 2012). during the first year, I sent a couple of 6C which was quite a challenge. I spent quite a lot of time bouldering alone (when I couldn't find people for climbing) plus the use of a fingerboard and at this point I have sent a couple of 7bs and one 7C...and currently working on a 8a project which feels incredibly hard for me...