Forum: GLOBAL / News / Tommy Caldwell portrait attempting The Dawn Wall Login in to contribute
Tommy Caldwell portrait attempting The Dawn Wall
  2013-01-24 00:00:00    
Tommy Caldwell is one of the leading big wall climber in the world. During the last five years, he has spent months up on The Dawn Wall in Yosemite trying to do the world's hardest multi pitch and big wall.
OnLine Mike Kimmel
  2013-01-24 14:35:38    
Wow. Was that a Tommy Caldwell Dawn Wall video sponsored by...Facebook?

OnLine Christian Stohr
  2013-01-24 15:50:43    
I was surprised, too.
OnLine Joakim Thommesen
  2013-01-24 16:03:04    
It is a Facebook commercial.
OffLine Ingmar de Vries
  2013-01-24 16:52:48    
Well, I liked it a lot! The music, the emotional load. Of course you guys are right about the facebook part, but if you just don't focus on that, it's a really beautiful video I think!
OffLine Gabriel Moch
  2013-01-24 17:32:52    

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NazEjEcYdnQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJqGbA2tLww

Aside from facebook, Tommy you rule man hope that dream comes along soon!!!

OnLine Jens Larssen
  2013-01-24 18:13:25    
Amazing commitment. I would say that this could be beside The Change (9b+), the hardest thing to do in the world. However, grade wise it will probably just be a 9a MP I guess. 
OffLine Joe Gruss
  2013-01-24 18:31:54    
Just a 9a...
OffLine Jolli
  2013-01-24 19:06:11    
Amazing stuff...
But the Larssen-man just keeps on thinking about what grade is the right for a certain climb like this or Gioia or... Even if he has not even done a single move or even seen the route live... How is that possible??? Yes, it is not.
OffLine Erik Lj
  2013-01-24 19:11:40    
"However"..... however what???
A 9a multipitch (which, by the way, you don't know that for a fact, it could be 8c+, or 9a+) doesn't diminish its stature of nearly impossible, nevertheless you want to compare it to JUST a 55m sport route (which doesn't even tops out the cave where it is)...

ps: I was being ironic, Jens, with my criticism towards The Change...stop comparing for a minute, 'cos you always end up disregarding something in behalf of something else...
OnLine Jens Larssen
  2013-01-24 20:56:09    
@ Jolli: I just base my speculation of what Tommy has suggested and also some discussion with Jonathan Siegrist.
OffLine Derek Bredl
  2013-01-24 23:49:01    
Cool video.

Jens. Learn.
OffLine Clark Paine
  2013-01-25 00:16:01    
Jens, long time ago I came to the conclusion that you are just playing a role. There is no way any rational person with a little knowledge about climbing may come up with such stupid statements over and over again.
OffLine Jan Schubert
  2013-01-25 00:34:14    
Such a great video !
OnLine Jens Larssen
  2013-01-25 09:04:02    
Möller: It seems you misunderstands my point as I agree on what you say and I do it by saying it is possibly the hardest climbing challenge to do next to The Change, 9b+ at the same time it probably will just get the 9a grade.

I am sorry you did not see this.

How would you explain the difficulty for a beginner climber?
OnLine Christian Stohr
  2013-01-25 09:23:24    
Explain difficulty for a beginner? First of all, a beginner usually doesn't even know where the scale ends. So I think the best way to explain the difficulty of Change or Dawn Wall is to say that there's only 1 person who was able to climb it yet (or in case of Dawn Wall might be able to do). Shouldn't that be enough?
You don't need grades to explain the beauty or difficulty of a route that hard.
OnLine Jens Larssen
  2013-01-25 09:54:12    
My point is just to show what you say that the grade system dors not work here. Instead I say it is the hardest thing to do in the world.

Even if I have the same opinion like you, you just try your best to misunderstand it. Read my first post again. I have the exact same opinion as you have.

The MP grade here is meaningless and confusing ;)
OnLine Jens Larssen
  2013-01-25 16:03:22    
Bacause the 9a speculation grade by Caldwell and Siegrist is a good confirmation that such grade is meaningless. When it will be done and reported it will be called a 9a or 8c+ MP which means that most will not understand that such grade is confusing.
OnLine Jens Larssen
  2013-01-25 20:11:35    
Why are you hostile?

Already in 2010, the specualtive grade of the team was that it included at least two 8c+ pitches. In 2012, Climbing made an interview where they said that gradewise it is most likely in the upper scale of 5.14 which means that it could be 9a. I met Jonathan in Kalymnos and we had a short discussion where he also were of the opinion, based of course only of his discussion with Caldwell, that the hardest pitch might be 9a.

There are of course hundreds or even thousands who will understand that a potential 9a MP grade means that the challenge is much harder compared to any normal sport 9a. However, I think most guys will have hard time to understand the real difficulty and that is why I said it might be the most difficult climbing challenge in the world together with a 9b+.

Please try to answer in a more polite way :)
OffLine jarvoramas
  2013-01-26 00:23:27    
9a slab , ouch . I would like to see some of the latest style footage that Big Up has been doing , it would be cool to see some pitches with a tracking cam and what not .
OffLine Peter Plant
  2013-01-27 12:30:31    
I'm reading this comments and all I read is Bla Bla GRADES Bla Bla Bla!!! Come on guys! This line which Tommy Caldwell is trying to realize is the ultimate test piece who cares if it is 8c+ , 9a or 9a+. Stop estimating GRADES try to get the message of the clip: "GO OUT AND DO WHAT YOU LOVE"