29 August 2012

<a href="http://www.8a.nu/user/Profile.aspx?UserId=36511">Mirko Caballero</a> (11) Wins in Arco

The Arco Rock Junior took place over two days, with three disciplines, speed, bouldering, and lead. There were climbers from all over Europe, as well as two from Equador, a Japanese girl, and an Amercian... ;-) The first day was hard as we had speed climbing in the morning, bouldering in the afternoon, and lead qualifiers in the evening. We had two runs on the same speed route, and I posted best time on both. For bouldering, we had to complete six boulders with a maximum of five tries for each. I ended up being the only climber to top out all 6 problems, securing me with a first place finish in the bouldering competition. In the evening we had our first sport route on the famous Arco Rock Master arch. I think it was rated around 7b, and I ended up being the only climber to get to the top. After the comp I met with the Belgian National Team. They were very nice and invited us to dinner, which was fun. The next morning we only had the final sport route. I thought that it was pretty easy until five moves from the top, leading to a very hard move two moves from the top. Four of us ended-up all falling on that move, but I still won the sport climbing competition due to my qualifier top out. I ended-up winning the Arco 2012 Rock Junior by winning all three events! Tim Bucher from Switerland took 2nd place, and Rafal Bak from Poland finished 3rd. All I can say is that it was definetly an adventure! I really liked this competition, and I hope I will be able to come back in the next few years.
1 comment
Sort by:
Date
Most commented
Jernej Kruder sends Martin Krpan (9a) sans knee pads

Jernej Kruder, who won the Boulder World Cup in 2018, has done Martin Krpan (9a) in Mišja Peč. “I would like to expose something here: I spent many tries on t…

Welcome to Vertical-Life Web

Six years after partnering with 8a.nu, we’re excited to announce the unification of the 8a.nu website and the Vertical-Life app into a single platform: Vertical…

Will Bosi repeats Return of the Sleepwalker (9A)

William Bosi has made the second ascent of Daniel Woods’ Return of the Sleepwalker (9A) in Black Velvet Canyon, after projecting it for 12 sessions. This was th…

Favorites
Katie Lamb makes history

Katie Lamb has become the first woman to climb 8C+ by completing Box Therapy (8C) in RMNP. Daniel Woods made the FA back in 2018, and only Drew Ruana and Sean B…

"It was dramatic to the very end." On the 8a finish of Project Big in Flatanger, Jakob Schubert explains that a horn broke and he was close to falling. The last three minutes of the video show just how much this climb means to him."This horn could have ended my career... This was the biggest mental …

Will Bosi repeats Return of the Sleepwalker (9A)

William Bosi has made the second ascent of Daniel Woods’ Return of the Sleepwalker (9A) in Black Velvet Canyon, after projecting it for 12 sessions. This was th…