27 March 2012

Bernd Zangerl: Progress and Inflation

Bernd Zangerl is one of the bouldering pioneers and he actually put up most of the classical hard boulders in Magic Wood and in Ticino. Many of his hardest boulder have been down graded and here he shares some thoughts on progress and inflation. Better training/Earlier start I think what happened in the last years we just can call progression and we shouldn't make such a polemic thing about it. The kids start crimping early on super indoor walls and they train very hard. The "pioneers" like myself and Nicole didn't have such opportunities at the beginning (and didn't even think about it) and climbed mainly on rock. Micro holds: 10 years ago the small holds, like the really bad crimpers where something "new" in bouldering. When we first checked Memento, there was no boulder problem in the world, with such a small hold where you had to jump from. It was a new level at this time.....and is something normal nowadays. The main thing is that it was something new, I wasn't sure if it "GOES" ....now the climbers know: IT GOES, the problem has been done! This is something very important...and therefore repeating problems is always easier than doing the FA, where you spend most of the time finding the perfect solution. Dynamic style: The younger climbers have such a perfect dynamic style and do moves super dynamic where I tried to do it static. This is also a "indoor evolution" somehow. It`s normal and makes fun to jump around safely. It's a different style, progression in technique. I wanted to have the power to make the moves static. I didn't even think about doing it as a dyno......at this time. FA and Confirmations: Putting up first ascents is something different. It takes lots of time to find the best solution, trying different sequences. And the time was always a indicator for the difficulty, a very intangible indicator. In 2000 I did the super classic test piece La Proue, 8B within a short session. I took this line to compare it with my short test pieces in Magic Wood or other areas. It is about Vision, Cleaning, Creativity and Progression. Grades were not important but of course we gave some suggestions which were confirmed and we moved forward proposing harder grades for harder boulders. We just compared the existing problems with the new ones. There where a few 8B problems.....no there are many. But somehow it makes no sense to downgrade all the old problems, because then I have to downgrade all other problems I did before....which makes this a never ending story. The grades have always been a proposal, based on the stuff I did before. New Base Line has seen maybe 10 repeats in 10 years and still it is 8B+ (with a slightly better hold then in 2002). Ii think our proposed grades have been not so wrong.
6 comments
Sort by:
Date
Most commented
Jernej Kruder sends Martin Krpan (9a) sans knee pads

Jernej Kruder, who won the Boulder World Cup in 2018, has done Martin Krpan (9a) in Mišja Peč. “I would like to expose something here: I spent many tries on t…

Welcome to Vertical-Life Web

Six years after partnering with 8a.nu, we’re excited to announce the unification of the 8a.nu website and the Vertical-Life app into a single platform: Vertical…

Will Bosi repeats Return of the Sleepwalker (9A)

William Bosi has made the second ascent of Daniel Woods’ Return of the Sleepwalker (9A) in Black Velvet Canyon, after projecting it for 12 sessions. This was th…

Favorites
Will Bosi claims the first repeat of Burden of Dreams (9A)

William Bosi has done the coveted second ascent of Nalle Hukkataival's Burden of Dreams (9A) in Lappnor, Finland, confirming the 9A grade. It was put up as the …

Katie Lamb makes history

Katie Lamb has become the first woman to climb 8C+ by completing Box Therapy (8C) in RMNP. Daniel Woods made the FA back in 2018, and only Drew Ruana and Sean B…

"It was dramatic to the very end." On the 8a finish of Project Big in Flatanger, Jakob Schubert explains that a horn broke and he was close to falling. The last three minutes of the video show just how much this climb means to him."This horn could have ended my career... This was the biggest mental …