1 January 2012

Working class hero: Webb-Parsons

Chris Webb-Parsons has been one of the best boulderers in the world for several years. In 2011, he did all eight WC's together with his girlfriend Alex Puccio and his best result was #6. Next year, Chris aims for the podium and he is training some 25 hours a week based on a programme from his coach Christian Core, (training article is coming up). But there is no glamour, not even a shoe sponsor, just very hard work and absolutely no financial support from his Australian federation. "I'm in debt on my credit card right now due to the last WC season costing me so much money. I'm slowly paying off my debt now although as soon as the 2012 WC season starts the credit card will come out again. I have to pay for everything including my uniform to compete in, my IFSC license, my climbing association membership, competition entry, hotel, travel etc.... So it all adds up. I'm sure I could climb so much harder if I had more financial support. I think another thing is the added pressure I put on myself being a self funded climber in the WCs. If I don't do well in the comp I get really down, ONE because I did not climb well and TWO because I know how much money I have spent to be there."
19 comments
Sort by:
Date
Most commented
Jernej Kruder sends Martin Krpan (9a) sans knee pads

Jernej Kruder, who won the Boulder World Cup in 2018, has done Martin Krpan (9a) in Mišja Peč. “I would like to expose something here: I spent many tries on t…

Welcome to Vertical-Life Web

Six years after partnering with 8a.nu, we’re excited to announce the unification of the 8a.nu website and the Vertical-Life app into a single platform: Vertical…

Will Bosi repeats Return of the Sleepwalker (9A)

William Bosi has made the second ascent of Daniel Woods’ Return of the Sleepwalker (9A) in Black Velvet Canyon, after projecting it for 12 sessions. This was th…

Related
V12-14 FA for Chris Webb-Parsons

Wasting no time in Swizzy even though it's wet, Chris Webb-Parsons has opened Bella Luna, 8B+ in Chironico which adds six hard moves (8A+) into Alphane Moon, 8A…

8C FA by Chris Webb Parsons

Chris Webb Parsons has after eight days done his fifth 8C, Belly Of The Beast in Peak District which is a six move sit start extension to Ken Roof Low 8B+ (old …

8C and 8B+ FA by Chris Webb Parsons

Chris Webb Parsons has had an amazing day in Magic Wood opening Beleive in two 8C, "Right hand line to Steppenwolf. I'm sure this is 8C. Physically the hardest …